Removing glossary term defs from search result abstract

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
carrollk
Propeller Head

Removing glossary term defs from search result abstract

Post by carrollk »

Hi,
For the moment for each topic we are using the automatically created search result abstracts. However, a lot of these descriptions contain glossary terms and Flare is adding the full glossary definition in the middle of the descriptions. For example, in the attached screen shot in the Getting Started result the word list is appended with the text A list is a way to categorize.... This is making our descriptions unreadable. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem, that is, not have glossary definitions displaying in the middle of the abstracts?

Thanks for your help,
Karen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Removing glossary term defs from search result abstract

Post by Nita Beck »

Check out this Help topic, which discusses how to include or exclude glossary terms from search results: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare12/ ... Result.htm

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
carrollk
Propeller Head

Post by carrollk »

Hi Nita,
Thanks for getting back, but the problem we're having isn't about displaying the glossary term at the top of the search results screen, it's that Flare adds the glossary definition in the middle of the search result abstract making the abstract unreadable.

Thanks,
Karen
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I see. I studied your screenshot more closely.

This seems buggy to me. I'd run this past MC tech support.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
rogersm
Propeller Head

Post by rogersm »

Hi there,

Just to let you know, Flare support confirmed that this is a bug. Unfortunately, this means that we will have to drop using glossary term links in our output because we need readable search result abstract text. We don't have time manually fix this for each topic by putting in meta descriptions for each topic. I am not aware of any other workaround.
GaryUK
Propeller Head

Post by GaryUK »

I've also logged this but still no fix from MadCap. Their support is incredible but I can't say the same for development. This is a serious bug which results in unprofessional output. Worse still, it looks through these embedded pieces of text when it searches. Glossary links are by nature ubiquitous. When a term appears as part of a glossary description, it comes up in searches whether the topic body contains the word or not. That's why you get millions of results when you type in almost any search term. It makes the search feature virtually useless.
sujith
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sujith »

I am also facing the same issue. Did this issue get fixed?
Fidens1
Propeller Head

Post by Fidens1 »

This is still an issue. It would be great if MadCap could fix this.
There are such things as stupid questions. Luckily, I've documented answers for all of them.