'forward' and 'back' buttons in HTML5?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
davidfass
Propeller Head

'forward' and 'back' buttons in HTML5?

Post by davidfass »

Hi. I notice that the toolbar in HTML5 has just a 'Navigate Previous' and 'Navigate Next' button, but no 'Forward' and 'Back' buttons. Why is this? How do I get those buttons to appear? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: 'forward' and 'back' buttons in HTML5?

Post by RamonS »

Are the forward and back buttons in the browser not sufficient? If not, you can add buttons as needed. This might help http://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/2012 ... p-outputs/
davidfass
Propeller Head

Post by davidfass »

Thanks, but that doesn't tell me how to do what I want. I tried adding 'back' and 'forward' buttons using the Proxy, but they simply do not appear in the HTML5 output.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

You have to add two toolbar buttons in the skin. Then use the Style > Toolbar Button tab to assign an “Event”. Specifically, for the previous button the Click field is “window.history.back()” and the forward button is “window.history.forward()”
davidfass
Propeller Head

Post by davidfass »

Awesome, I will try that! Thanks!
djensen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by djensen »

I have read this topic with interest as we are experiencing an issue with the Forward and Back buttons. We use the tri pane skin with the menu on the left, and the header comprising the toolbar with Forward and Next buttons. Unfortunately I am unable to alter the code behind the buttons. The MadCap interface for editing the skin allows me to add the buttons, but when I go to edit the Event, it only provides one Click event for the whole toolbar, not per button. Any clues what I need to do in this instance?

Here are the screens from MadCap.
Skin editor Toolbar page.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)

By your screenshots, I can see that you are confusing Back & Forward with Previous Topic & Next Topic. (And others in this discussion are mixing up the terms, too.)

The Skin editor provides the Previous Topic & Next Topic buttons, but one doesn't need to (and in fact can't) edit the scripts that control them. Those scripts are "baked into" Flare and its output. Those buttons let a user "step up and down" the navigation. I like to think of them as turning pages.

By contrast, the Back & Forward buttons serve to let a user step backward or forward through the history of topics he/she has visited. MadCap chose not to have these buttons be part of the skin by default, we surmise on the theory that the browser itself supplies those buttons. But it's totally possible to add these buttons yourself. If you do, you'll find that you can supply the scripts that control them. Someone earlier in this discussion provided those scripts.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!