setting the default Medium for display while working

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

setting the default Medium for display while working

Post by Nina Esile »

Hi all,

This seems like a basic question, but I can't find an answer.

I'd like to know how to have a topic open to a specific medium whenever I open it to work on it. I have two mediums: print and non-print (like most of us). I want my topics to open to non-print without my having to select it each time I open a topic. But all topics open to the print medium. Not a big deal, but skipping this step every time would be nice.

Thanks!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: setting the default Medium for display while working

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi Nina,

Which target do you have set as the primary target? I suspect a print target. What happens if you make an online target the primary? You might also need to manually change the layout & medium displayed in the XML Editor, but just once, and thereafter those things should be set for you automatically.

BTW, I actually don't advocate the use of the non-print medium for online targets; I think the default medium is better, so that your online output is all primed to be displayed by a browser in the browser's default medium. I don't think I've ever used the non-print medium.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

Nita Beck wrote: Which target do you have set as the primary target? I suspect a print target. What happens if you make an online target the primary? You might also need to manually change the layout & medium displayed in the XML Editor, but just once, and thereafter those things should be set for you automatically.
Hi Nita,

You are correct, I had a print target as the primary target. I changed that to an online target. Phew. That took care of that.
Nita Beck wrote: BTW, I actually don't advocate the use of the non-print medium for online targets; I think the default medium is better, so that your online output is all primed to be displayed by a browser in the browser's default medium. I don't think I've ever used the non-print medium.
Interesting. So then, if I want to use the default medium AND I want to have my pages displayed in the default medium when I'm working on them, I select the default medium in the Target settings. I think I've got this.

Thanks Nita!
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

Hi,

Were you able to solve this issue? If so, please let me know. My topics always open with Print medium and I want them to open with Default medium. In the Target editor, the default target (WebHelp) is set to Default medium.
I know the medium can be changed every time to Default whenever I open the topic. Its just nice if I didn't have to do it and Flare did it for me.

Thanks