Flare 12 links in masterpage head not getting into topics

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare 12 links in masterpage head not getting into topics

Post by ruthhoward »

I've got a masterpage that contains this header:

Code: Select all

<head>
        <link href="content/resources/foundation/css/foundation.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
        <link href="../foundation/icons/foundation-icons.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
        <link href="../stylesheets/responsive.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
        <!--test-->
    </head>
But this generates compiled HTML5 outputs which contains NEITHER the content/resources/path reference NOR the relative links from the location of the masterpage:

<head>
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
        <meta charset="utf-8" />
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Overview</title>
        <!--test-->
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Slideshow.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/TextEffects.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Topic.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Components/Styles.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Components/Tablet.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Components/Mobile.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../resources/stylesheets/accl_help.css" rel="stylesheet" />
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/custom.modernizr.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/jquery.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/require.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/require.config.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/foundation.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/plugins.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/MadCapAll.js">
        </script>
    </head>
anyone seen this? the links to the files are definitely correct. The commented out "test" line gets in but not the links.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare 12 links in masterpage head not getting into topic

Post by NorthEast »

Have you set a master stylesheet in the target and/or project?

In v11 and earlier, I know setting a master stylesheet will remove all other stylesheet links from the output.
I'm not sure whether this still applies for v12 though.

Also, the first of those links look incorrect - it shouldn't have the content folder in the path, it should be a relative link from the master page.
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

Yes, I've got a master stylesheet set too. That's probably the problem then.

Yes, I know the first was wrong, I was trying something out.

Thanks!
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

Dave Lee wrote:Have you set a master stylesheet in the target and/or project?

In v11 and earlier, I know setting a master stylesheet will remove all other stylesheet links from the output.
I'm not sure whether this still applies for v12 though.

Also, the first of those links look incorrect - it shouldn't have the content folder in the path, it should be a relative link from the master page.
I've unset the CSS from the target and made sure that it isn't already in the topic head but I'm still not getting all my stylesheets added. Something somewhere is setting accl_help.css as the master stylesheet as that's getting added but not the others.

topic head

<head><title xmlns=""><MadCap:variable name="ProductVariables.Product Name (short)" /> Overview</title>
    </head>
target

<CatapultTarget
  Version="2"
  Comment="HTML5 Target for HTTP access"
  Type="WebHelp2"
  Destinations=""
  GlossaryTermConversion="marked"
  GetLatestBeforeCompile="false"
  InsertMOTW="false"
  UseCustomTopicFileExtension="false"
  ExcludeUnreferencedContent="false"
  Skin="(none)"
  Medium="non-print"
  MasterToc="/Project/TOCs/main_toc.fltoc"
  ConditionTagExpression="include[Default.ScreenOnly] exclude[Default.PrintOnly] "
  ReplaceSpacesWithUnderscores="false"
  MakeFileLowerCase="true"
  MasterPage="/Content/Resources/MasterPages/Responsive.flmsp"
  DefaultUrl="/Content/HelpTopics/overview.htm"
  MenuSkin="/Project/Skins/BIOVIA_Resp_Menu.flskn"
  SearchBarSkin="/Project/Skins/BIOVIA_Resp_SearchBar.flskn"
  SearchResultsSkin="/Project/Skins/BIOVIA_Resp_SearchRes.flskn">
masterpage

<head>
        <link href="../foundation/css/foundation.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
        <link href="../foundation/icons/foundation-icons.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
		<link href="../stylesheets/responsive.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
		<link href="../stylesheets/accl_help.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
        <!--test-->
    </head>
output

<head>
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
        <meta charset="utf-8" />
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Pipeline Pilot Web Port Overview</title>
        <!--test-->
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Slideshow.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/TextEffects.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Topic.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Components/Styles.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Components/Tablet.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../../Skins/Default/Stylesheets/Components/Mobile.css" rel="stylesheet" data-mc-generated="True" />
        <link href="../resources/stylesheets/accl_help.css" rel="stylesheet" />
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/custom.modernizr.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/jquery.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/require.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/require.config.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/foundation.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/plugins.min.js">
        </script>
        <script src="../../Resources/Scripts/MadCapAll.js">
        </script>
    </head>
PS I'm working on getting a responsive skin with side TOC from http://straygoat-technicalauthor.co.uk/ ... -part-one/ which I think you worked on :-) very nice!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

ruthhoward wrote:
I've unset the CSS from the target and made sure that it isn't already in the topic head but I'm still not getting all my stylesheets added. Something somewhere is setting accl_help.css as the master stylesheet as that's getting added but not the others.
You can set a master stylesheet for the target and/or project - have you checked the project properties?
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

Dave Lee wrote:
ruthhoward wrote:
You can set a master stylesheet for the target and/or project - have you checked the project properties?
BINGO!! Thanks so much! This is going to be a bit of a pest as I think non-responsive HTML5 projects use the project setting to control the master stylesheet so I'm going to have to update all the other targets for those other projects that use this template (and get my team to do the same). Ho hum.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

ruthhoward wrote:BINGO!! Thanks so much! This is going to be a bit of a pest as I think non-responsive HTML5 projects use the project setting to control the master stylesheet so I'm going to have to update all the other targets for those other projects that use this template (and get my team to do the same). Ho hum.
Do you just mean that your other projects already use master stylesheets? (Flare itself doesn't care if you use them, whatever the output.)

If that's a problem, then you can still use a master stylesheet, but you'd need to link the others using an @import.

You can have one main stylesheet (set as your master), and include links to all your other stylesheets like this:

@import url('stylesheet1.css');

@import url('stylesheet2.css');

@import url('stylesheet3.css');
(The url is relative to this stylesheet.)
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

yes it seems that our template project and therefore all other use a master stylesheet set at the project level. of course we can do the CSS linking (in fact I'd already used that to make things work but wanted to understand why the content of the master page wasn't working)

I'm having enormous fun (!) trying to get rid of the margins around the whole content now and persuading my custom font to show up. I'm using all the standard things for the fonts but I think one of my developers will be able to help.

Do you know what style is controlling the margins? I can see using FF developer plug in that div class="off-canvas-wrapper" has the margins but I don't see where or in which style sheet its set. Any ideas? (asking you Dave as StrayGoat credits you with the solution)
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

ruthhoward wrote:yes it seems that our template project and therefore all other use a master stylesheet set at the project level. of course we can do the CSS linking (in fact I'd already used that to make things work but wanted to understand why the content of the master page wasn't working)

I'm having enormous fun (!) trying to get rid of the margins around the whole content now and persuading my custom font to show up. I'm using all the standard things for the fonts but I think one of my developers will be able to help.

Do you know what style is controlling the margins? I can see using FF developer plug in that div class="off-canvas-wrapper" has the margins but I don't see where or in which style sheet its set. Any ideas? (asking you Dave as StrayGoat credits you with the solution)
Check the top nav skin, Styles > Global > Main page. Check the padding, and also size > maximum width which limits how wide the topic can get (e.g. you can set this to 100% to be unrestricted).

In my projects I've started putting everything inside my master page in a div, e.g. div.topic_container, and setting any padding or whatever on that.
I think the topic container is section.main-section in the top nav output, but this saves trying to remember what it's called.
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

Dave Lee wrote:
Check the top nav skin, Styles > Global > Main page. Check the padding, and also size > maximum width which limits how wide the topic can get (e.g. you can set this to 100% to be unrestricted).

In my projects I've started putting everything inside my master page in a div, e.g. div.topic_container, and setting any padding or whatever on that.
I think the topic container is section.main-section in the top nav output, but this saves trying to remember what it's called.
turns out I'm far too quick to ask questions! I'm re-purposing an existing project so using a CSS that had right/left margins for tripane body which was therefore filtering thru to the topnav layout. I've just overridden it by adding margin:0 to body in my responsive.css (which is called after my corporate one) so that my corporate CSS works for both standard tripane and top nav outputs.

PS thanks for the speedy responses :-)
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

I'm currently battling this again because it seems that Edge on Windows 10 x64 1709 doesn't load linked CSS files on FILE protocol:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... /17981647/

so linking my CSS together doesn't work and trying to load them all individually into the topic head through the master page doesn't work either
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

ruthhoward wrote:and trying to load them all individually into the topic head through the master page doesn't work either
You can have stylesheet links in the master page - just make sure that you select the Allow local stylesheets option in the target settings, otherwise they're removed from the output.
ruthhoward
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhoward »

by "doesn't work", I mean that I think there's a bug somewhere with my custom miniTOCproxy styles. With the CSS specified in the target and other CSS linked from it I get a Topic.css file containing this (my custom miniTOC style is called MS and is defined in a linked CSS):

div.MCMiniTocBox_MS_0
{
	border-top-width: 1px;
	border-top-style: none;
	border-top-color: black;
	padding-top: 0px;
	margin-top: 0px;
	padding-left: 10px;
	font-weight: normal;
	color: #1269c3;
	font-size: 11pt;
	text-decoration: underline;
	line-height: 12px;
	font-style: normal;
}
If I remove the target CSS spec and unlink the CSS files but include them all in my master page (where the custom miniTOC style is defined in the second CSS listed in the master page), Topic.css contains this instead:

div.MCMiniTocBox_MS_0
{
	border-top-width: 1px;
	border-top-style: solid;
	border-top-color: black;
	padding-top: 10px;
	margin-top: 10px;
	padding-left: 20px;
}
So I'm getting a black top border which looks awful.

I can't check allow local stylesheets because its greyed out when I don't specify a target CSS.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

ruthhoward wrote:So I'm getting a black top border which looks awful.
This is one of Flare's "gotchas" that's been there for years, and is a bit annoying.

Flare adds this border by default - it automatically adds styles for several of the proxies (miniTOC, breadcrumbs, etc.), although you won't actually see them in the (source) stylesheet CSS.

If you look at the miniTOC styles in Flare's stylesheet editor, and look at set properties, you'll see there's a black top border defined. Set the border style to none to override it.