General settings

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
kujb
Jr. Propeller Head

General settings

Post by kujb »

Hi there,

is it possible in Flare to set up general (program-wide) settings? For example I do not want to change the dimension setting from px to cm all the time.
Is there a menu where such general settings can be set?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Kai
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: General settings

Post by roboHAL »

File menu > Options has a number of program wide settings. I realize the example you provided (px to cm) is not within file options. In my case if I switch from either px to cm or vice versa that setting is retained, and I'm guessing Flare is storing the data is some kind of config file in the location where Flare was installed. Point is, if using the same workstation I don't think you need to set px to cm all the time. Set it once in any topic and it works the same in another topic and other project.
Scotty
Propeller Head

Post by Scotty »

A small thing, but I get annoyed telling Flare that I don't want to use English (US) every time I create a new project (which is often).

Also stuff like standard settings for items in a Flare TOC - e.g. having to set 'New Section' and five other things for every single topic is a pain.

Surely these kind of things can be configured in a global Flare settings?
The newest noob in town.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

Scotty wrote:A small thing, but I get annoyed telling Flare that I don't want to use English (US) every time I create a new project (which is often).

Also stuff like standard settings for items in a Flare TOC - e.g. having to set 'New Section' and five other things for every single topic is a pain.

Surely these kind of things can be configured in a global Flare settings?
Sounds like you should set up a global project with settings that you like that you link back to: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... ght=global

Our company does that and it means less things you have to set up every time you start a new project. I usually create from a template that includes the global project whenever I start a new Flare file.
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Robotman »

Hi Kai, I'd look at saving a project as a template project.

http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare12/ ... 20projects

I agree, it would be nice to have Flare a little more intuitive.
\m/ Gary \m/
Flare 2020 / Windows 10 64-Bit
Screaming Symphony
nicholerich
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by nicholerich »

I have Chrome set as the default browser on my computer. When I try to preview my files in Flare as PDF or view any of Flare's help links that lead to PDFs I get an annoying message that "Adobe Acrobat does not support Internet Explorer's Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM). Either install the latest version of Adobe Reader or disable EPM in Internet Explorer."

I have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed (with all the updates) and the EPM setting is set by my company, even though I have admin rights on my computer I cannot change this. Is there somewhere that I can tell Flare to NOT use IE as the default for opening browser windows??? Shouldn't it use the browser I have set as default on my computer? Is anyone else struggling with this?
cdiamond
Propeller Head

Post by cdiamond »

nicholerich wrote:I have Chrome set as the default browser on my computer. When I try to preview my files in Flare as PDF or view any of Flare's help links that lead to PDFs I get an annoying message that "Adobe Acrobat does not support Internet Explorer's Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM). Either install the latest version of Adobe Reader or disable EPM in Internet Explorer."

I have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed (with all the updates) and the EPM setting is set by my company, even though I have admin rights on my computer I cannot change this. Is there somewhere that I can tell Flare to NOT use IE as the default for opening browser windows??? Shouldn't it use the browser I have set as default on my computer? Is anyone else struggling with this?
Did you ever get an answer on this? I have the same problem. Wish there were a way to upvote comments.
Daniela Kummer
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Daniela Kummer »

nicholerich wrote:I have Chrome set as the default browser on my computer. When I try to preview my files in Flare as PDF or view any of Flare's help links that lead to PDFs I get an annoying message that "Adobe Acrobat does not support Internet Explorer's Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM). Either install the latest version of Adobe Reader or disable EPM in Internet Explorer."

Thankfully I don't have this problem, but I am very annoyed that Flare opens up any link with a browser that is not my default browser.
I could not find any setting in the options to change this though.
I am curious as to what would happen if I uninstalled Internet Explorer, but I'm too afraid that this would cause a permanent error or make opening links impossible to try.