Facing pages and cross references

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
JAmerkhanov
Jr. Propeller Head

Facing pages and cross references

Post by JAmerkhanov »

I have context sensitive cross references in my document that aren't aligned with the page layout in Adobe Reader. For example, when I'm viewing a PDF in two page mode, on the page on the right I'll see "For more information, see XYZ on the facing page." But the reference isn't on the facing page (i.e. the left page). It's on the next page, meaning I have to page or scroll down. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Facing pages and cross references

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

When you view the PDF, the pages are laid out as 1 + 2, 3 + 4, etc. However, if you were looking at a PRINTED output, when you look at a spread you see pages 1, 2 + 3, 4 + 5, etc. So if you have a cross-ref on page 2 referring to a topic on page 3, it WOULD be on the facing page.

There isn't anything you can do to change this, as far as I can work out, because it's working as designed, i.e. to give a cross-ref for a printed output.

The only thing you could do is to remove the context-sensitive bit and have your cross-refs use {PAGE} rather than {PAGEREF}.

Sorry.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
JAmerkhanov
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JAmerkhanov »

Ah, ok. Makes sense. Thanks for the help!
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

You can set your PDF reader to enable Show Cover Page in Two-Page View and then it will probably work (assuming the cover page is the thing throwing off the facing pages). However, I don't think this is a setting you can enforce in the PDF output via Flare (perhaps you can using Acrobat, I don't know).

Anecdotally, I came to the realization that no one but me ever read our PDFs in 2-page view. I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but every time I watched someone open the PDF they were always in 1 page view, so things like different left/right page headers/footers seemed pointless and weird so I gave up on them. (We don't print the docs.)
JAmerkhanov
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JAmerkhanov »

Looks like you can set the same output for Flare as in reader. In PDF options, Initial View, Page layout, Two-Up (Cover Page). I'm going to do that for now, but you make a good point about how users prefer to look at these PDFs online. If they prefer to set their reader back to one page, those references are still wrong on screen. Something for my team to discuss. Thanks!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Practically all of my clients for whom I produce PDFs from Flare have requested I use a single-page layout. They assume that more people will be read the PDF online and fewer will print it out, particularly double-sided.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
jbananak
Propeller Head

Post by jbananak »

We have this problem, just out of interest, where does the "facing page" text come from? it doesn't exist in the project (according to our search)
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

I have the same issue, with the cross reference on an odd page (p.11) pointing to "the facing page", when the "target" is actually on the next, even page (p.12). Am I correct that this appears to be a problem with Flare's cross reference function?

Thanks,
-jeff
zappy0
Propeller Head

Post by zappy0 »

All of my end users view the PDFs as a single page layout. The phrase "on the facing page" makes no sense to them. We use left and right page layouts so the page number position and footer text can be varied and the document will look nice in the unlikely event a user actually prints it (and maybe that is part of the reason "on the facing page" is displayed). I like that {pageref} also produces "above" "below" "next page" etc. so I do not want to use {page}. However, I must find a way to prevent "on the facing page." From the reading I have done, it seems there is no easy way to specify substitute text for "on the facing page". I am inclined to submit a feature request, but figured I would check the forum first to see if there is a solution I am overlooking or that emerged after this forum topic was last updated. Thank you!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

@zappy0, you can alter the "on facing page" text by creating a Language Skin - this particular text is under Print and Online, called CrossReferenceOnFacingPage. You can change it to whatever you like.

You almost certainly are seeing "on facing page" because you have L/R page layouts. If you only have Body layouts, then "on next page" and "on previous page" will be used.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
zappy0
Propeller Head

Post by zappy0 »

@doloremipsum - worked perfectly! I noticed that "on facing page" was always generated on even pages with a reference to the next odd page (which would be the facing page). I was a worried the reverse would also be true, but "previous" was always used in those cases. Thus, by specifying "on the next page" as the desired text for CrossReferenceOnFacingPage, the PDF now displays a phrase my screen-only audience will understand. Thanks again for posting the solution. I am filled with joy,

Also, a note to Madcap regarding my enhancement request that includes a link to this forum topic: You can ignore my enhancement request.