Error while generating target with command line

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
danidelcar
Jr. Propeller Head

Error while generating target with command line

Post by danidelcar »

Hello all,

The company I work for is implementing Flare as the default software for technical writers and I have encountered several issues with Flare 12, one of which is that when I follow the explanation in the link http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare12/ ... %20compile, if i specify a target gives back an error, whereas with no target specified, the generation of all targets available for the project work correctly.

The steps I follow are:

1. "Run as Admin" the command prompt (just in case there is a conflict of permissions for the domain user). Once I am in the command prompt, I write:

cd\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare 12\Flare.app

2. Then, I apply the specific command:

madbuild -project "C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\FrameMaker_Flare1.flprj" -target "HTML5 - Tripane.fltar"

And gives back error:

Error: The target file C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\Project\Targets\Online Output\HTML5 - Tripane.fltar does not exist :evil:

I have tried, mind me, with different syntax for the target, with and without file type, with and without path, but always gives back the same error. :evil:

However, if I do run madbuild without specifying -target, runs correctly and creates output in the desired folder. :shock:

Could you please advise?.

Many thanks in advance.

Dani
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Error while generating target with command line

Post by techwriter31 »

Hmmm. A few thoughts:
-You shouldn't have to specify the file extension.
- It sounds like you've already tried this, but if the target is stored in a sub-directory of Project/Targets, you'll need to include this sub-directory in the path:
madbuild -project C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\FrameMaker_Flare1.flprj -target sub-directory/"HTML5 - Tripane"
Kellie
danidelcar
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by danidelcar »

Hi Kellie,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried several ways yes, but seems none is correct, or Flare 12 accepts it...

I did try like this, specifying the folder for the target:

C:\Program Files\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare 12\Flare.app>
madbuild -project "C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\FrameMaker_Flare1.flprj" -target "C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\Project\Targets\Online Output\HTML5 - Tripane"

However, gives back the same result as per my previous tests.

Thanks!

Dani
techwriter31 wrote:Hmmm. A few thoughts:
-You shouldn't have to specify the file extension.
- It sounds like you've already tried this, but if the target is stored in a sub-directory of Project/Targets, you'll need to include this sub-directory in the path:
madbuild -project C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\FrameMaker_Flare1.flprj -target sub-directory/"HTML5 - Tripane"
danidelcar
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by danidelcar »

Hi,

I am inclined to say this is a bug from Flare 12, instead of a bad sintaxis in the command line.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I'm able to use Flare 12 command line to build single targets without any problems.
-When specifying the folder, you don't need to specify the entire path, only the subdirectory path with Project/Targets.
-I'm using a forward slash rather than a backslash in the subdirectory path.

Instead of this:
madbuild -project "C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\FrameMaker_Flare1.flprj" -target "C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\Project\Targets\Online Output\HTML5 - Tripane"

I believe it should be this:
madbuild -project "C:\My Projects\FrameMaker_Flare1\FrameMaker_Flare1.flprj" -target "Online Output/HTML5 - Tripane"
Kellie
danidelcar
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by danidelcar »

Hi Kellie,

Thanks a lot!, it was the forward slash ¬¬'!.

Cheers!

Dani
Rona Kwestel
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Rona Kwestel »

I just ran into this exact issue, and have to say the documentation on how to use madbuild is woefully inadequate. It took me an hour to figure out that it needed a forward slash. For a Windows executable. After expanding the hidden "note". That mentions that it needs a "slash". And only when you look at the vague "example", might you happen to notice that the slash is oddly going forward. Because why not. :roll: