Page Layout Not Saving

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
TheBrittleTechWriter
Propeller Head

Page Layout Not Saving

Post by TheBrittleTechWriter »

In topic XML editor, I change the Page Layout to the correct .flpgl file through the hierarchical menu, and also through the TOC page. It changes on screen and I save the file but when I open the topic again, it's reset to the previous .flpgl.

How can I make the change stick?
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page Layout Not Saving

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Associating a particular Page Layout with a topic on your TOC sets which will be used when you build your target.

Quite separately the Page Layout you see when you look at a topic in the XML editor defaults to that set in Project > Project Properties > Defaults, or if it can't determine any from there just the top one alphabetically in your list of page layouts. You are free to choose any of your other page layouts whilst you are viewing a particular topic, but close the topic and reopen it and it will revert again to that default. If that annoys you (which it does me on occasion) just change your master in Project > Project Properties > Defaults to reflect the majority of the target you are currently working on.
TheBrittleTechWriter
Propeller Head

Post by TheBrittleTechWriter »

Thanks for the quick reply!

However, it's not sticking. I did change it in Projects->Project Properties->Defaults, even guessing that I had to relaunch Flare. But everything still opens in the previous page layout. And that default layout isn't even the first one alphabetically.

Anything else I can do?
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

(A guess) Do you happen to have a Master TOC or primary Target defined which uses the PageLayout that your XML editor keeps reverting to ... ?

(I am assuming that you get the association that you need between the topic and page layout in the TOC/Target, so that it is printing correctly - so this is just a niggle with the XML editor.)
jonester
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jonester »

I am having the same issue. I have selected the desired page layout in Project> Properties> Master Page Layout. I have selected the desired page layout in the target's General> Master Page Layout. I have selected the desired page layout in Properties> Printed Output> Page Layout for each chapter entry in the TOC. When I publish my target, some chapters adhere to the desired page layout, BUT some do not.
Philknott72
Propeller Head

Post by Philknott72 »

Hi Jonester, did you ever find what to change? I have the exact issue and it's driving me potty.
armplinker
Propeller Head

Post by armplinker »

This is indeed vastly annoying and driving me 'potty' as well :( - in fact, driving me to use potty-mouth descriptions of the problem. No amount of fiddling with page layouts or targets or anything has made any difference. None of the recommended solutions make any difference. The topics come up with whatever layout they choose internally. I usually get the Title layout. What needs to happen is to do what somebody described earlier which is to use the applicable layout based on the active Target and TOC. So a title page, will come up in, you guessed it, title layout, and a following page will come up in normal or right... It costs at least 3 or 4 extra seconds per page to reset these stupid layout defaults every time a topic is opened.

So, perhaps a feature suggestion:

1 - Create a new property in each set of layouts to indicate which one is the default for that set. It would have to be overridden automatically by the TOC but at least in edit mode you get something that is less annoying to start with.
2 - In the same vein, stop using the lowest alphabetical order page name as the default. That is a bizarre convention IMHO. :roll:
3 - Add a per-TOPIC property which can set this. The layout from (1) could be the assumed 'default' but it should be possible to override for each topic as desired. This should be something that can be applied to several topics at once.

and as a side note:

4 - It definitely appears to me that any extra page layouts added to a layout set are not available to select directly - only by magic or luck :?: - which is particularly annoying when doing the forced page layout reset. Only the default names e.g. Normal, Title, FirstRight, etc. come up in the popup menu, even if there are variants of some or all of these in the layouts. For example, if I had 2 TITLE type pages, the default one named Title and one named TitleIHaveCustomized - I would like to be able to pick the one I want, not hope that Flare decides correctly for me.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

armplinker wrote:So, perhaps a feature suggestion:

1 - Create a new property in each set of layouts to indicate which one is the default for that set. It would have to be overridden automatically by the TOC but at least in edit mode you get something that is less annoying to start with.
2 - In the same vein, stop using the lowest alphabetical order page name as the default. That is a bizarre convention IMHO. :roll:
3 - Add a per-TOPIC property which can set this. The layout from (1) could be the assumed 'default' but it should be possible to override for each topic as desired. This should be something that can be applied to several topics at once.
Be sure to submit your feature requests through MadCap’s official mechanism: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
dyzguy1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dyzguy1 »

Began having the same problem this afternoon. Then I did nothing and it fixed itself -- and then came back again. So something's glitchy in Denmark.
annekinsella
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by annekinsella »

Has this issue been resolved? I've tried all the suggestions but my title page keeps flipping to a different layout. I've just upgraded to 2019r2. Projects prior to this used r1 and i did not see this issue.