Shortcuts for Notes, warnings, etc

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
jwalther
Jr. Propeller Head

Shortcuts for Notes, warnings, etc

Post by jwalther »

I'm new to Flare and the person training me left the company. I'm having a problem that really slows me down. When adding a "Note" message I have to go find an example, copy it, paste it in the new location, then change the text. I'm doing the same with "Warning" messages and with Figure captions. There must be a faster way.

Our "note" format is the same as the ones used in the Flare PDF documentation.

Any help would be appreciated.
ChrisBradley
Propeller Head

Re: Shortcuts for Notes, warnings, etc

Post by ChrisBradley »

The Flare notes are div tags. If the div style was created in your stylesheet, you can acces it from the Group menu.
groupMenu.PNG
1. Place your curser on the line that you want to apply the note to.
2. From the Home tab, in the Paragraph pane, click the Group button.
3. Find the div style for your note. Hopefully it will be named something as easy as 'div.note.'
4. Select the style and then click OK.

Your pargraph should now be wrapped in the correct style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Madcap Advanced Developer
jwalther
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jwalther »

Thank you for your response. I found a few different div tags, but none of them created a note. I'm going to look at the style sheet and see if I can add a div tag there to use.
ChrisBradley
Propeller Head

Post by ChrisBradley »

Can you post the html for a note in your doc? It will be helpful to see how it is created, then someone can better point you in the right direction.
In your XML editor, you should have a Text Editor tab that displays your content in html. Identify the html code that makes a note, and then paste that in the code tags for the flare forum. My notes (using divs) look like this:

Code: Select all

<div class="note">
<p>This is an amazing note.</p>
</div>
Madcap Advanced Developer
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

The note may be set up as a paragraph style with an autonumber generating the word Note, and perhaps a background image. In this case you can easily insert it using Ctrl + Shift + H to bring up the style picker and then start typing the style name to insert it (e.g. "p.note").

If they are a bit more complicated (e.g. div or table) then you can set them up as a snippet (acting as a template). Then you can insert the snippet (Ctrl + R) and right click | Convert to Text to add your text into the note or warning etc.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

GregStenhouse wrote:If they are a bit more complicated (e.g. div or table) then you can set them up as a snippet (acting as a template). Then you can insert the snippet (Ctrl + R) and right click | Convert to Text to add your text into the note or warning etc.
I have my notes and warnings set up as snippets (since the first paragraph has one style and the second a different one) that I insert and convert to text to make things faster. I also have some special table formats, PDF special formatting, etc. set as snippets to make my life easier. I recommend snippets! So many uses for them.
~Sarah
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
jwalther
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jwalther »

It is set up as a style! CTRL+Shift+H worked! Thank you everyone for your ideas!
silqmv
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by silqmv »

Here is something you can do to speed your work with notes:

1) Transform Note (already styled and containing some general text (Lorem ipsum)) into a snippet
2a) You can add the snippet where you want any new note to be, select it on the XML editor, right click it > Convert to text, then replace the inside text by the new one
OR (!)
2b)
2b.1) Record a macro of you inserting the snippet
2b.X) Unfortunately recording you transforming it into a text does NOT get recorded - it would be really good if it did! *
2b.2) Give your macro a keyboard shortcut - like alt+N
2b.3) Either run the macro or just use the shortcut to insert the snippet
2b.4) Select it on the XML editor, right click it > Convert to text, then replace the inside text by the new one

(*) Case I am wrong about this, kindly answer my post viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33556&e=0