Flare 2017-r2 super slow - black screens - crashes

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
jbananak
Propeller Head

Flare 2017-r2 super slow - black screens - crashes

Post by jbananak »

Hi
I am having performance problems with the latest version of Flare -
- black screens appear while Flare is thinking
- many crashes - even when shutting Flare, I often get a message that "Flare has stopped working...."
- slow reactions in general

I have a powerful enough computer (Windows 7 Enterprise, 16GB RAM, i5, 64-bit) . This should not be happening... and it only seems to be with Flare.
:(
Anyone else?
Joanna
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare 2017-r2 super slow - black screens - crashes

Post by NorthEast »

Report it all to MadCap support.

I've had the "black screen" problem for a number of years now, but can't remember which version it started with.

For me, Flare has crashes frequently (currently about twice a day), and has done ever since I've used it (v2.5!).
Roland Weigelt
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Roland Weigelt »

Hi Joanna,

I can confirm what you wrote - powerful computer, yet slow reactions in general.
I've had the black screen only once, but the crashes - even when simply closing Flare - are often (yes, I do send the crash reports).

Please do what Dave Lee suggested and report your problems to Madcap ("Help" -> "Report a bug"). They will not be able to help you at this time, but the more people report these bugs (I did so just recently), the higher this class of bugs is ranked. I work in software development and I know that there are always more bugs than available budget to fix them, so prioritization is key.

Best regards,
Roland
Jbleasdale
Propeller Head

Post by Jbleasdale »

I've noticed a big slow down too. Exactly the same as you, lots of black screens (even happened when support was screen shared in! :madcap: )

Performance is just a pig, I fear that Flare is just generally bad at allocating & managing memory to be honest. I wish they would put some time into making it more efficient.
Joe Bleasdale

My Linkedin

ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Ooo, I thought it was just me! I know that our corporate virus checking attacks the speed of EVERYONE here, not just Flare users, so I put it down to that. Could it be that your virus checking software is hitting you in painful places?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
jbananak
Propeller Head

Post by jbananak »

It could be. But why just this latest version? And why does it keep crashing when I exit?
Jess77
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Jess77 »

jbananak wrote:It could be. But why just this latest version? And why does it keep crashing when I exit?
For me, Flare always crashes when I close after zipping the project. This has been happening for the past few year.
Jessica N.
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer for Flare
kmacdowe
Propeller Head

Post by kmacdowe »

2023 update, black screens are still happening. Is there a bug number for long standing bug? It seems to happen when I have a lot of file changes done at the same time.