build failed, input string was not in a correct format

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Iziris
Propeller Head

build failed, input string was not in a correct format

Post by Iziris »

Hi everyone,

So today I have encoutered that error (10086) that I have never seen before, wich is weird because I didn't changed anything about my project since the last that I opened it
I was just trying to produce a word output (my project is originally a pdf ouput type) to see what it looked like.
I put the ".docx" at the end of my output title though, in the primary target properties, but the problem is persisting.
Does somebody as asolution for this ?

Thank you all in advance.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: build failed, input string was not in a correct format

Post by roboHAL »

Hello Iziris -

I'm not sure the following suggestion will help, but it can't hurt :arrow:

"Clean" your project using the following MadCap procedure:

> Close Flare.
> Browse to the folder with your Flare project using Windows Explorer
> Delete the Analyzer and Output folder(or move the Output folder to a different location if you do not want to lose any previously built outputs)
> Browse into your Project folder and delete the "Users" folder inside

> Then, navigate to C:\Users\[Your User]\Appdata\Roaming\MadCap Software\Flare
> Select and delete the CatapultMDIEditor folder
Iziris
Propeller Head

Post by Iziris »

Thank you a lot for your answer, I've tryed your solution, and it failed but it's fine.
Now I know how to "clean" a project, just a question then why would I need to clear my project ?

Thank you for your time!
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

Thank you a lot for your answer, I've tryed your solution, and it failed but it's fine.
Now I know how to "clean" a project, just a question then why would I need to clear my project ?

Thank you for your time!
You're welcome. The answer to your question is that it depends. There is no one or more particular reason(s) to "clean" a project. Cleaning does have a tendency of helping to or completely resolving certain issues. In this context, "certain issues" means to say that Flare - like virtually everything else technology wise - occasionally benefits from a "reset" of sorts. Flare is less than "perfect". Many files within a Flare project are dependent upon one another. So if one or more files become compromised - for whatever reason - the Flare cleansing procedure acts as a generic method to "un-compromise" those one or more files. 8)
Iziris
Propeller Head

Post by Iziris »

Thank you again for your answer, I'll remeber that method then.

And in the meantime I solved my problem, the fact is that I had the checkbox : "Generate PDF for MS word output" checked, in the primary target >Advanced.
It's now working like a charm.

Have a good day roboHAL.
Iziris
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out. :D

You did mention initially, "I didn't changed anything about my project since the last that I opened it". Therefore, if that PDF option was previously selected and you did not receive the error, then you may want to advise Madcap as something could have changed in their code.