Specify URL when a TOC is clicked by user

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
vman97
Jr. Propeller Head

Specify URL when a TOC is clicked by user

Post by vman97 »

I have a TOC that contains help documentation for a particular subject. This TOC is a sub-item of a larger TOC. This larger TOC is what my main website navigation menu is generated from. The smaller TOC is also referenced by a PDF output target.

This works fine. I create one TOC for my help documentation subject, and I can use that TOC in my online menu and also for PDF target output.

The problem - when the user clicks the TOC item within the online menu, nothing happens. This is because the TOC does not link to a URL, so obviously nothing will happen when clicked in a browser. So the user has to navigate into the TOC's sub-items in order to access a webpage. However, some users try to click the TOC item and when they see nothing happens they conclude that the help documentation is broken.

How can I tell a TOC item to jump to a URL when clicked in a menu? It seems the only solution is to change my TOC to a "book" and then I can have that book link to a URL and that book can have its own sub-items. But now I don't have a TOC for my PDF target anymore. I have to essentially duplicate the information to have a book for online, and a TOC for PDF targeting.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Specify URL when a TOC is clicked by user

Post by NorthEast »

Where you've inserted the TOC inside the other TOC - right-click the embedded TOC entry, select Properties, go to Advanced, select When merging, replace node with merged TOC.

That will get rid of the unlinked item in the TOC, and replace it with whatever's inside the embedded TOC.
vman97
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by vman97 »

*** EDIT
I added dashes to my indented text below. The spaces I used initially did not show up in the post.

Thank you, that worked! But it has introduced a little annoying probelm.

For example, I used to have this:

TOC "My Title"
----Introduction
----First Topic

...and it would output a PDF that was structured like this:

"My Title"
Introduction
1 First Topic
2 Next Topic

But now, after using this "merge TOC" method, I have changed my source Flare project to this:

TOC
----Title Page "My Title"
--------Introduction
--------First Topic

...unfortunately the PDF output added decimal places to my chapter numbers so it looks like this in the PDF:

"My Title"
Introduction
1.1 First Topic
2.1 Next Topic

I don't want those decimal places on my chapter numbers. Can I fix this?
vman97
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by vman97 »

I have found a way to force the appearance of the chapter numbers in my PDF table of contents. It involved changing style sheet header (h1 - h6) entries. This seems like a hack as opposed to an official fix. But perhaps this is the only way.