TOCs - copy/paste seems to lose links to topics

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
venturil
Jr. Propeller Head

TOCs - copy/paste seems to lose links to topics

Post by venturil »

Hi all :flare:

I have a project with an ever-growing number of printed targets. Each of them links to its own particular TOC. Each TOC is made up of a mix of topics: some are reused in other TOCs (most of the content), while some are unique to each particular TOC (a couple of topics usually).

Some topics have chapter or section brakes, which are linked to pages in three separate page layout files.

To speed things up when creating new targets, I would like to copy and paste similar TOCs and replace only the topics that are unique to that particular target.
This is to prevent me from having to create a new TOC every time and put in the same topics in the same order, linked to the same page layout.. you get the idea: more steps = more error-prone :roll: .

However, when I copy and paste a TOC file, Flare seems to lose all the links to the topics in the new TOC, so I have to manually re-link everything.
So yeah I don't have to re-insert info about chapter and section brakes, and I don't have to remember the order of topics, but I am sure there's gotta be a way to also avoid having to re-link everything.

Any idea?

Thanks!
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: TOCs - copy/paste seems to lose links to topics

Post by devjoe »

No idea. I have copy and pasted TOCs within a project before and not had links break, so I don't know why it is happening to you.
You could try making a new blank TOC and copying and pasting the contents of the other TOC in and see if that works better.
venturil
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by venturil »

devjoe wrote:No idea. I have copy and pasted TOCs within a project before and not had links break, so I don't know why it is happening to you.
You could try making a new blank TOC and copying and pasting the contents of the other TOC in and see if that works better.
Hi

Thanks for your reply. What you suggest works fine, I can copy TOC elements in a new TOC.

I wonder why this happens though.. Hoping someone shows up with the same problem :wink:

Thanks
AJF
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by AJF »

Hello venturil,

>> I wonder why this happens though.. Hoping someone shows up with the same problem :wink:

Well, here I am.
Fairly new to the Flare forum - this being my first post.

This is the situation I get upon copying an existing TOC.
All the TOC entries have had their links changed thus:

Original TOC:
/Content/blah/file.htm

New TOC:
../../../Content/blah/file.htm

I'll keep digging, and if I find anything, I'll post back here.

Cheers,

Andy
AJF
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by AJF »

More on this.
If you use right click (on TOC folder) / Add Table of Contents / New from existing, it all works as expected.

Cheers,

Andy