Broken Images in Final Output

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Broken Images in Final Output

Post by Iocus_Rood »

Afternoon,

I'm currently running Madcap 2017 v. r2 and have encountered a rather frustrating problem:

I am using a screen capture program 'Snagit' to capture screens and upload them into topics for our companies online help so it's HTML5.

I am uploading my content to a single sharepoint. I've noticed that images captured via Snagit are simply not appearing when I view them from the share point. The images are visible when I open the topic manually in a chrome window, but when I view the content from our online help after uploading it to the share point the images don't appear at all, like they aren't there to begin with.

I've tested this on other pages with pictures I have copy and pasted from other documents and they load fine, but for whatever reason images pulled with Snagit remain invisible when looked at from the sharepoint.

Any assistance that anyone can provide me would be much appreciated.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: Broken Images in Final Output

Post by paintedturtle »

Iocus_Rood wrote:Afternoon,

I'm currently running Madcap 2017 v. r2 and have encountered a rather frustrating problem:

I am using a screen capture program 'Snagit' to capture screens and upload them into topics for our companies online help so it's HTML5.

I am uploading my content to a single sharepoint. I've noticed that images captured via Snagit are simply not appearing when I view them from the share point. The images are visible when I open the topic manually in a chrome window, but when I view the content from our online help after uploading it to the share point the images don't appear at all, like they aren't there to begin with.

I've tested this on other pages with pictures I have copy and pasted from other documents and they load fine, but for whatever reason images pulled with Snagit remain invisible when looked at from the sharepoint.

Any assistance that anyone can provide me would be much appreciated.
Just to confirm, you are inserting each image file yourself into Flare's Images folder? I have had no problems with SnagIt images in Flare.
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

I am indeed. They are all saved in the images folder in Resources. If I open the topic in a firefox page it'll show a broken image picture at least, but nothing else is displayed.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

We had an odd issue at one point where a bunch of our images weren't showing up in Internet Explorer (but they were fine in all other browsers). Opening them each individually and then just re-saving them solved it for us. Not sure if that will help you, but it's something to try.
Casey

Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

Open individual and re-save within Madcap? I can give that a try.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Iocus_Rood wrote:Open individual and re-save within Madcap? I can give that a try.
I believe we did it in Snagit and Capture, actually. It didn't seem to matter where we did it, something had just gotten corrupted I guess. It was a very weird issue.
Casey

SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

cdschroeder wrote:We had an odd issue at one point where a bunch of our images weren't showing up in Internet Explorer (but they were fine in all other browsers). Opening them each individually and then just re-saving them solved it for us. Not sure if that will help you, but it's something to try.
If I had that to do I'd try doing a batch edit in Snagit. It will do something on each file you nominate, and save the file. Let the machine do the work, I say...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

SteveS wrote:If I had that to do I'd try doing a batch edit in Snagit. It will do something on each file you nominate, and save the file. Let the machine do the work, I say...
Good call. I always forget about batch edit!
Casey

Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

I have tried what has been suggested. First I tried to pull them all up in Snagit and resave them in the hopes that it would clear any kind of corruption. The problem persists.

Here is a screen grab of the topic opened in a chrome window and not from the out put:
2017-10-13_12-34-25.png
The picture is of the listing screen table.

Here is a grab of the same topic but opened from the final output
2017-10-13_12-35-52.png
If it is an image corruption issue I'm not sure how else to go about it, but I have taken multiple screen grabs in multiple different formats, all of which produce the same result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

When you say from the output - are the images present at all in the initially generated output? You mentioned uploading your files to SharePoint before, so I had assumed that the images were present/visible in the initial output (i.e. in the default Flare Output folder), but not when the files are copied to SharePoint.

If your images aren't showing up in the initial output, I would check that 1) the image is actually present in the Output > Content > Resources folder. And 2) that the topic is actually referencing the image (check the HTML code).

If your images do show up in the initial output, but not when uploaded to SharePoint, double-check that the images are actually present (on SharePoint's side). If they are, I'd guess it's some kind of problem with SharePoint.
Casey

Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

I should clarify, I upload my final output to a cloud network which then points to our online help when you load it. It's not 'SharePoint' the third part program.

I can confirm that all the images are present in the default flare folder and I am using that output folder as the source for the cloud network to find our online help documents.

I will double check the HTML code though and make sure that it is referencing the images.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

Ah, So I have discovered the images are not being read from the cloud. Here's a screen grab:
2017-10-19_10-01-03.png
What would be causing this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Can you browse the server storage and see if these files are indeed there? Also, tried clearing browser cache?
If the files are on the server my next guess would be some overactive content filter.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

....So the uh.. the files weren't on the server.. I'm going to try it after I load em on but uh.. That might have been the issue
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

That's what it was. Guess I look like the nooblord today. Thanks very much for all your help!
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

Iocus_Rood wrote:That's what it was. Guess I look like the nooblord today. Thanks very much for all your help!
Glad you figured it out!
Casey