Project Analysis: Links shown as broken aren't

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
gsm1
Propeller Head

Project Analysis: Links shown as broken aren't

Post by gsm1 »

Both in Analyzer and Project Analysis, I find that most of the links listed as broken are not broken. This makes it hard to find the links that really are broken.
Today, in Project Analysis, In every single instance, the "Folder column = "Content/" and the Type column = "Missing File. "

#1) Sometimes, Flare won't let me create cross-topic links w bookmarks, in certain cases. However, when I enter the bookmark manually, in the XML Editor, it will work in the output. I find that Flare shows all cross project links w/bookmarks as broken.

An example of the heir Link column format is: Subsystems/Ex_Primary/content/exams/create and edit exams details tab.htm#Show_in_Exam_Catalog

#2) In other cases, the "broken" links appear to be standard files (w/ no bookmarks included in the file name). Example: Subsystems/Ex_Primary/content/exams/create and edit exams details tab.htm

#3) In one very small topic incorporating an image link to a PDF and a text link to the same PDF - both of which function fine in the output - I am seeing a variety of broken links with a Resources/ root. For example: Resources/Scripts/require.config.js. These are less problematic, as they aren't creating obvious issues and I can just read past them.

All in all, I just want to be able to identify the links that are really broken and fix them. I have wasted too much time checking out links that aren't broken.

Your suggestions(s) are gratefully anticipated.
Last edited by gsm1 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Project Analysis: Links shown as broken aren't

Post by cdschroeder »

I've come across two main instances where links are inaccurately reported to be broken.

1 - Renaming a folder sometimes causes "broken links" in the files it contains. This is a known bug, and can be solved by deleting the project's Analyzer folder and letting it regenerate.
2 - The file name and the link to the file are not capitalized identically. For example, if a link to "MyHomePage.htm" is referenced as "Myhomepage.htm," the link will be reported back as broken, but will actually work in the output. There is no easy fix for this, aside from changing the file names or links so that they match exactly.

In general, you should always delete your Analyzer folder when seeing weird behavior in Analyzer/Project Analysis. It's clearly not ideal, since you lose the historical data on word count and such, but it seems to work in *most* cases.

Hope this helps!
Casey

RandyMan
Propeller Head

Re: Project Analysis: Links shown as broken aren't

Post by RandyMan »

Thanks for this answer. It's been driving me bonkers. Bottom line: Ultimately Windows OS is case-insensitive. However, the problems with renaming/changing capitalization in directory and filenames materialize through Madcap ...even when you change the directory names and filenames in Madcap. :twisted:

I never would have thought about deleting the Analyzer folder. Bravo to you! Another Madcap Madhatter problem solved.