question: can I reference text/titles in other documents?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
autocart
Propeller Head

question: can I reference text/titles in other documents?

Post by autocart »

Hi all again,

As the title says, can I reference text or at least titles in other flare documents?
E.g. if I have a user manual and a service manual and in the user manual I want to say something like "For an in depth explaination see the chapter XY in the service manual ABC."

Of course in the future I might want to reference other infos as well, who knows. (I am an explorer. I come in peace.)
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: question: can I reference text/titles in other documents

Post by BedfordWriter »

If you're trying to link to a topic in another project, it's kinda hard for Flare to know in advance the eventual chapter number that will be assigned to that topic when the other project is built.

If you have one big project, from which you generate multiple targets, you can at least use a cross-reference to get the title.

Or, you can also just link directly to the heading in the other output document. You don't specify what target you're creating, so how to do that depends. If PDF, take a minute in the other project to add named destinations before building.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: question: can I reference text/titles in other documents

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Hit by a lightbulb moment here. If you're going to want to mention the same document, or the same chapter in a document, how about creating a variable set so you don't have to check the name of the document every time you use it? That way, if some clever so-and-so decides to change the title of the document or the title of the chapter, you only need to check it in the variable set and not go hunting.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx