How to remove "Open topic with navigation" from all topics

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

How to remove "Open topic with navigation" from all topics

Post by Iocus_Rood »

Hi There,

I've been having trouble with this feature since I upgraded to 2017 r2.

I want to get rid of the "Open topic in Navigation" option for the entire project as it is causing data retrieval issues. How do I best get rid of this option from the entire project?

Much thanks
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: How to remove "Open topic with navigation" from all topi

Post by NorthEast »

It's a skin setting - see the help here:
http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... Topics.htm
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

I have Unchecked both boxes in the Topic Settings in the set up yet stand alone topics continue to be opened with that option at the top.

I'd prefer that when opening ANY topic, the navigation pane opens instantly, without needing to click the link either at the top or bottom of the page.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

I've actually found your blog:
https://ukauthor.wordpress.com/2014/08/ ... tion-skin/

I'm looking to open all topics from the navigation pane automatically without needing to click the link. I'd need a layman's guides since I'm a bit new to Madcap's features.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Iocus_Rood wrote:I have Unchecked both boxes in the Topic Settings in the set up yet stand alone topics continue to be opened with that option at the top.

I'd prefer that when opening ANY topic, the navigation pane opens instantly, without needing to click the link either at the top or bottom of the page.
Unchecking both boxes will switch it off - I don't know what to suggest other than to double-check that you've edited the skin that's used by your target.
Iocus_Rood wrote:I've actually found your blog:
https://ukauthor.wordpress.com/2014/08/ ... tion-skin/

I'm looking to open all topics from the navigation pane automatically without needing to click the link. I'd need a layman's guides since I'm a bit new to Madcap's features.
Have you followed the article steps on 'How to do this' ?
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

It's very strange, though I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

My Target is HTML5 and the skin I'm using has had the navigation link toggled off, yet when I pull up pages standalone in the final output the link is still there.

I have tried to make certain that the skin I've configured is the one used by the target.

To give a bit of context, I'm publishing the project, and transferring the final output on to a network sharepoint that is used by our software. After several attempts to keep the "Open topic with navi" link, it still remains when I open single pages from the help screen in our software.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Rather than check Sharepoint, I would first check the output on your local drive - does that include the links?

If your software is linking directly to the help topics, then I'd suggest that you use CSH calls to link to your help instead.
Using the 'URL method' is fairly easy: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... lopers.htm
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

Where would the info on the navigation link be saved? I figured it would be in the 'Skins' folder. But uploaded the newest output from there to the end point it still has the link up top.

I do apologize for my ignorance.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

I've done a bit more investigating and have found the line of code responsible for the "Open nav" link.
2017-11-14_12-20-44.png
The MCWebHelpFrameset line determines if the topic opens with the link.

I'm still just trying to determine where the information on Skin configuration is saved.

I did check out that link you posted from Madcap's help. It is all very Greek to me and I'm not sure how to do about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

I've also gone back and unchecked the "Show navigation link" boxes in all potentially used skins and the final output STILL opens standalone topics with a nav link.

I am very confused as to why
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Iocus_Rood wrote:Where would the info on the navigation link be saved? I figured it would be in the 'Skins' folder. But uploaded the newest output from there to the end point it still has the link up top.
Did you check the output on your local drive, before you uploaded it?

I'm asking this because when you're viewing the output on your server, you might be looking at an old version of the page.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

Opening single topics locally doesn't produce a navigation link, but it also doesn't display the navigation plane either.

By checking it locally do you mean opening the final HTML file in the output? Or to check topics individually?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Iocus_Rood wrote:Opening single topics locally doesn't produce a navigation link, but it also doesn't display the navigation plane either.

By checking it locally do you mean opening the final HTML file in the output? Or to check topics individually?
I meant check the output that you build on your own PC - browse to the output folder, and open a topic directly.

As you have opened a topic locally, and it doesn't include the link, then it means your changes to the skin have worked.
If you're not seeing the same in your published/online version, then it means it is not up to date, or you're looking at an old/cached version of the topic in your browser.

Opening a topic directly will not show the navigation pane. It's better to use a CSH link, which will display the navigation.
If you don't want to use CSH, you can use the technique I described in my blog to automatically open a topic with navigation.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

What I'm shooting for is for all topics opened standalone will automatically open with the navigation pane in place.

The link has indeed disappeared, but I'd prefer it open into the navigation pane. Is that the process described in your blog? For all topics to automatically open with all navigation options?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Iocus_Rood wrote:What I'm shooting for is for all topics opened standalone will automatically open with the navigation pane in place.

The link has indeed disappeared, but I'd prefer it open into the navigation pane. Is that the process described in your blog? For all topics to automatically open with all navigation options?
Yes, that's the solution in my blog post - if you open a topic directly, it'll re-open it with the Tripane skin/navigation.

I'd still advise using a CSH link where possible for any links to your help.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

a CSH link does exist as part of the output. How exactly does one use that as the basis for opening all documents? Would that be in your blog as well?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Iocus_Rood wrote:a CSH link does exist as part of the output. How exactly does one use that as the basis for opening all documents? Would that be in your blog as well?
Where you have links to your help, I'd recommend using a CSH link, rather than have direct links to topics. A CSH link will open the help with navigation.

Other people might bookmark or have direct links to your topics - in those situations, then the solution in my blog will open the topic with the navigation.
Iocus_Rood
Propeller Head

Post by Iocus_Rood »

Is the article relevant to this issue the one I linked above? (https://ukauthor.wordpress.com/2014/08/)