Glossary file with Flare terms

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
dls50
Jr. Propeller Head

Glossary file with Flare terms

Post by dls50 »

Hi,

Working on a project created a while back by someone else and the glossary contains Flare-related terms (condition tag, drop-down text, XL editor, etc.). I see in the Project Organizer there are 2 glossary tiles...one with just these Flare terms with a filename of "Glossary" and another with a filename reflecting the name of the project. Seems to me that no one would have intentionally created the file with the Flare terms and put it in a project. I don't recall seeing this issue in any Flare project I've worked on before. Does anyone have an idea about where such a file would come from? It's like someone copied part of a Flare glossary as a way to get a glossary in the project but if so, they would have edited it to contain the terms they wanted in the project and there would have been no need to create the 2nd glossary. Or that Flare creates it automatically when a new project is set up (like Windows with its sample photos in the My Pictures folder). But again, I don't recall seeing that happening before either.

I'm just going to delete that file so my question isn't pressing, just a big curiosity!

Thanks for any info.

Diane
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Glossary file with Flare terms

Post by Nita Beck »

Several of Flare's project templates, particularly most (although not all) of the ones listed as "Advanced" include a bunch of "placeholder" content, including that Glossary.flglo file. I believe that MadCap's assumption is that someone will either delete that file outright and create their own glossary file (of whatever name) or will keep that file but will delete the Flare-centric terms and add their own terms.

So, if you don't need the Glossary.flglo in the project you're maintaining, you can probably safely get rid of it.

Re Flare project templates in general, my advice to all Flare users is (1) to first study all the project templates before selecting one to start with, to make sure that the template selected is most suitable to the finished project one envisions and (2) after setting up the project, to get rid of anything that came from the template that ended up not being needed, so that future Flare users won't be confused by those items.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
dls50
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Glossary file with Flare terms

Post by dls50 »

Thank you:). As I suspected, the writer likely wasn't aware that file was there and could have been edited so went ahead and created a new glossary file with the terms she wanted. But you would think at some point looking at your project you would have seen 2 glossary files and wondered why - and perhaps checked the webhelp you built and noticed those terms that shouldn't be there.

Good advice you offered for people who want to use a template!

Thanks again.

Diane