Email address link fails with script error in IE

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
KCinColorado
Propeller Head

Email address link fails with script error in IE

Post by KCinColorado »

I'm producing HTML5 output with Flare 2017 r2. My Help contains several email links (i.e., mailto:user@company). When I compile my Help and test these links in the compiled output using Internet Explorer 11, an Internet Explorer Security dialog pops up, asking if I want to allow "a website" (my Help file) to open Outlook. If I click Allow, an Outlook message appears, and is properly addressed according to the link.

HOWEVER, my Help is ultimately embedded in a Windows application for distribution. When I test the email links in the bundled Help, launched from within our application, I get a Script Error that complains about MadcapUtilities.js. The error box prompts as to whether I want to continue running scripts on this page. Regardless of whether I answer Yes or No, the Outlook message appears as soon as that error box is closed, and the Outlook message is properly addressed. But the error box is ugly and I hate for the Help to go out this way.

Has anyone seen this before? And if so, is there a fix for it (that is, a way to get the embedded Help to work more gracefully) ?
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Email address link fails with script error in IE

Post by doc_guy »

Wild stab in the dark here, so I may be way off, but in your Target settings, on the Advanced tab, try enabling "Insert Mark of the Web". You can read more about MOTW in the MadCap help. It may provide a solution in your case, but I'm not sure.

http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... g-MOTW.htm
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

KCinColorado
Propeller Head

Re: Email address link fails with script error in IE

Post by KCinColorado »

Thanks for your reply Paul. MOTW is already selected and in use. My engineering manager discovered that if I added a target destination to all mailto: occurrences, that fixed the issue (no more script errors).

So basically, tags like this:

Code: Select all

<a href="mailto:infodesign@mycorp.com">infodesign@mycorp.com</a>
changed to this:

Code: Select all

<a href="mailto:infodesign@mycorp.com" target="_blank">infodesign@mycorp.com</a>
It makes no sense to me, I've never had to specify a target for an email link. I had opened a case for this with MadCap earlier today, so I asked the support guy if he would submit a bug report for this.