Page Layout and Styles for more than one PDF output

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Philknott72
Propeller Head

Page Layout and Styles for more than one PDF output

Post by Philknott72 »

Hi, I'm creating some work for 4 different customers, but I'm using a generic glut of information and then pulling each of the customers specific bits of detail in.

To do this I have created small topics, then I have created individual additional topics, which I'm pulling in after the main part of the generic material.

Simple example of topics:-
Generic Text Topic
Generic Image Topic
Customer 1 Image Topic
Customer 2 Image Topic

For a full generic PDF, in the Generic TOC I choose:-
Generic Text Topic & Generic Image Topic.

For a full Customer 1 PDF, in the Customer 1 TOC I choose:-
Generic Text Topic & Customer 1 Image Topic.

For a full Customer 2 PDF, in the Customer 2 TOC I choose:-
Generic Text Topic & Customer 2 Image Topic.

It seems to be working well so, however..... how do I then tailor the page design for each customers PDF output?
Each customer will want a different font styles etc., which I just change in the customer specific CSS, but how do I set up a design for each page layout for each customer and where do I then point to the new style? I can't see anything in CSS, I'm assuming I can create 4 sets of Page Layout Folders and tailor each document design, but can't see how I then get each output.

Can I do this or do I need to create individual projects? I'm assuming there is a solution so as I can keep all of it together in the one project, but I can't see how?

Thanks for your time all. Phil.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Page Layout and Styles for more than one PDF output

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Phil,

I would go about this using the CSS for style things as you said and then use the properties settings of each TOC sentry to pull in the desired page layout for that client.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
Philknott72
Propeller Head

Post by Philknott72 »

Hi thanks for replying.

When I say page layout I mean the customers logo, header and footer change.

I've found where you mean and I can change that in properties, but it then defines the last setting to all others. I have tried selecting allow local CSS also, but that makes no difference.

I've edited one on the chapter sheets, to pull the customers logo, but that's not pulling in either???

Can I get what I really want out of one project, or do I need to break it out into 4 individual projects?? (hope not)

Please clever folks help. Thanks Phil.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

You can still use one large project with a target for each client. Page assignment on a TOC entry affect all following topics until another change occurs.

It'll be best to create a separate TOC and page layout to associate with a target for each client.

Have you applied any conditions to the file in Content Explorer? Does the image appear on the PDF preview?
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

GerardFalla
Propeller Head

Post by GerardFalla »

I've been doing this same thing for our individual audience types: I create specific Page Layout sets for each PDF output / audience type, and then create an individual TOC for each. There is then a specific Target for each PDF audience type, each of which respectively calls the relevant Page Layout for that audience type - one could specify an audience-specific css master for that in the target - though in our case we're lucky enough that our targets all share the same CSS master.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gerard Falla
Tech Whirler & 3D Generalist: I do occasionally write. Really.
Flare Newbie
CADDmin Consulting
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerard-falla-2017
https://www.behance.net/GerardFalla
Philknott72
Propeller Head

Post by Philknott72 »

Hi Trent, thanks again, very grateful of you time and patience.

Yes I've have 4 TOCs and Page Layouts available. I can see these in the properties lists, when I attempt to change the paths.

In one example I have changed the standard right-hand lower flare icons with a manufacturers logo in page layout. The logo is seen in the xml, but then isn't applying to the final PDF.

If you then select another TOC, this has also taken the previous manufacturer setting.

Like I say, I'm hoping that once I've set the paths and created each TOC and Page Layout, when I select the print PDF option the respective output and style will come out the other side.

I spent time trying the various options after your response on Friday, which gives me the hope I want, but I just can't workout what I've not done, or what I've missed.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi .... :P

Thanks, Phil.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

I'm not certain what is happening. It sounds as though you are accidentally using the same modified page layout on an entry in two TOCs. It's been a while since I set up my pages, but I don't remember seeing any icons from MadCap on my page layouts. Did you mean the foot frame:

Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Philknott72
Propeller Head

Post by Philknott72 »

Arh man this is frying my brain.

So I've edited all of the sheets in the page layout folders for 1 specific manufacturer, added their logo and changed the colour of the background.
It has its own CSS, Target and TOC.

If I select build target, its still pulling the original template settings, even though everything is set right in the target editor.

I've added a cover, with the main logo and a written logo bottom right, and set the colour the same as the rest of the page layouts, and that is the only page that is changing colour.

My brain hurts, I'm off to count sheep!!! or syle sheets :roll:
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

This may not be related to your problem but it's very worth mentioning that PageLayouts will pull from certain CSS classes and it can be extremely frustrating to figure out what's going on.

I was setting the background colour on the <body> class to white in my CSS and it was overriding every decoration frame in my PageLayouts making them appear to have no content in at all.
Philknott72
Propeller Head

Post by Philknott72 »

This is killing me.... I wasn't a fan of FM, but actually now I'm having second thoughts.

I've tried so many things I've actually started unpicking the good bits I have done.

I copy a TOC from the original document, the text flow up the page, I save it as a manufacture version, the text swing to across the page... why??

I know the setting up is the most important part, but really I'm not finding Flare very helpful.

Argggggghhhhhh.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

The more screenshots of the problems you're having you can provide, the better. Might also be worth zipping the project up for people to look at if they have the time and if it isn't sensitive content?
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

Also join the Slack group if you haven't already, it's easier to get help there. You need to PM Nita Beck for an invite.
GerardFalla
Propeller Head

Post by GerardFalla »

Ok - I know this may seem like a silly question, but I remember this frustrating the living daylights out of me when I was first learning about page layouts... not that long ago.

So - you've noticed I'm sure that in each Page Layout file, there are thumbnails and layouts for multiple page types, and as a result there are multiple places to make such changes as footer logos, page decorations and so on... these are set up this way so that one Page Layout file can be pointed at and have First Right, Left, Right, and Empty Left page layouts all defined, so that the entire flow of a given target can be contained in one file with all permutations needed. Makes total sense, but requires multiple editing of similar elements, as I've not been able to set up page decoration snippet condition tags which actually functionally change appearance on a per-target basis - I tried. :shock:

For myself, I defined everything properly in one Page Layout file, and then copied relevant elements into the other similar conditions in other Page Layout files, making the appropriate audience-specific changes as I went.

My question / response boils down to: are you sure you've made these Page Layout edits in ALL the page conditions (First Right, Left, Right, Empty Left) inside EACH Page Layout file to which your targets refer?
Gerard Falla
Tech Whirler & 3D Generalist: I do occasionally write. Really.
Flare Newbie
CADDmin Consulting
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerard-falla-2017
https://www.behance.net/GerardFalla