SOLVED: TOC entries not synchronized by default

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
itauthor
Propeller Head

SOLVED: TOC entries not synchronized by default

Post by itauthor »

From Flare help:
When you drag a topic into a TOC to create a link to it—or if you click [icon] to create a new topic at the same time that you add a new TOC entry—you’ll notice that the text is blue. This doesn’t mean it will show up blue in our output, it means that it contains a system variable called “linked title”.
Sounds good, and this is exactly what I want it to do, but this is not the behavior I'm getting.

I'm using Flare 2017 r3. When I drag a topic file into a TOC from the Content Explorer the text is black. In the properties of the TOC item the label gets the H1 text, not the system variable. I can manually apply the LinkedHeader variable, but I want this to happen automatically, as described in the Flare help.

I don't give topics titles, but even if I do the behavior is the same: just the hard text, not the variable.

What's preventing this from working?
Last edited by itauthor on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: TOC entries not synchronized by default

Post by AlexFox »

Can you show an example of this? I've just tested with a topic called Test.htm with a few junk paragraphs under an h1 "This is a topic title".

I dragged it in to a TOC and the title applied was "This is a topic title" and in the properties I had [%=System.LinkedTitle%].

It's worth noting that when you drag it in, it'll be highlighted and therefore won't display as blue until you add a new item that can take the focus off the original.
itauthor
Propeller Head

Post by itauthor »

Thanks. It's not a highlighting issue. The label in the properties contains the text of the h1 from the topic rather than the variable.
itauthor
Propeller Head

Post by itauthor »

I have figured it out.

This functionality only works if your HTML files use the file name extension .htm.
All our files use the extension .html, which is preventing this from working.

I will log a bug with MadCap.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: SOLVED: TOC entries not synchronized by default

Post by AlexFox »

Excellent detective work!