Flare so slow it's unusable

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Madeline
Propeller Head

Flare so slow it's unusable

Post by Madeline »

hi,

My Flare has started running so slowly it's basically unusable - lags on typing and using the mouse. I'm running 2017r2 on Windows 10 and it's always been fine up until now. The CPU usage of Flare sits between 7 and 15% even when it's not being used. I've deleted the output folder, moved my project to my local machine, turned off options related to autocorrect and am waiting for IT to run a Windows repair on Flare.

Any suggestions? I'm tearing my hair out and would love my 'can type at a normal speed' version of Flare back.

Thanks
Madeline
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare so slow it's unusable

Post by AlexFox »

How big is your project Madeline? Do you have any auto suggestion settings enabled?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I suspect that there is a corruption in a Flare application file.

Here's what I posted in response to your question on the same subject in the Slack community:
Try this (which is advice given by MadCap Tech Support): Shut down Flare. Navigate to C:\Users\<yourname>AppData\Roaming\MadCap Software\Flare. RENAME the FontSets.mcfst file to something like FontSets.mcfstBACKUP. (Flare will recreate this file when you next start it up.) Start up Flare. Does this make any difference?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Madeline
Propeller Head

Post by Madeline »

I've turned the Autosuggest options off on advice somewhere else. My project is 289MB, 2500 files so not big.

Nita - thank you. Your suggestion works but only for a little while and then I have to repeat the steps (three times so far today and I've been here for two hours). So something must be corrupting it repeatedly I'd assume - do you know how I'd figure out what so this fix sticks?

Thanks for both of your suggestions.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

At this point, were I you, I’d open a support case. I presume that’s not the advice you’d like to hear.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Madeline
Propeller Head

Post by Madeline »

I've already had a support case open for two days - I'm getting desperate because I've got work to do and it's pretty much impossible currently. I've just had support repair my Flare installation per Madcap supports request so we'll see if that helps.
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Matze »

Hi Madeline,
in the meantime, do you have a solution for slow running flare / mouse lagging issues?

Because I´ve the same problem since Flare V12 / 64bit.

See also:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28730&p=125782&hil ... ng#p125782

Thx,

Matze
Wendy_Pod
Propeller Head

Post by Wendy_Pod »

FWIW, I found installing the most recent .NET Framework https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/ ... rk-runtime made a real difference in Flare performance.

HTH!