Converting Equations

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
TroyWells
Propeller Head

Converting Equations

Post by TroyWells »

Due to a recent update this past January, equations created in Microsoft Word now get imported into Flare as images. This has been reported to MadCap and logged as a feature request. However, I was wondering if any of you had ideas for a workaround.

MathType is an application that can convert equations in Word to MathML, which can then be copied and pasted into Flare's Equation editor. However, it also costs $97 for a license. Any free workaround would be appreciated.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Converting Equations

Post by devjoe »

If you are using the modern equation system from Word 2007 and beyond (rather than the old external Equation Editor app), you can copy a Word equation as MathML. But to do so, you have to set an obscure Word option.
  1. Click in the equation. The Equation Design ribbon tab appears.
  2. Click the tiny button on the Tools group of the ribbon which is labeled in the attached image.
  3. Under When copying an equation, click Copy MathML to the clipboard as plain text, then click OK.
Now when you copy an equation from Word, it copies the MathML for the equation, which you can paste into the equation editor in Flare.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TroyWells
Propeller Head

Post by TroyWells »

The Equations Design ribbon is no longer available in the latest version of Office due to this "Update".
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Maybe something is broken in your installation?
It looks a little different, but it's still available for me, on Microsoft Word 2016 MSO (16.0.8431.2110).
They've made it harder to find the version info than it used to be. It's now at File | Account | About Word.
Which version are you on?
TroyWells
Propeller Head

Post by TroyWells »

First of all, it is a subscription. Secondly, I applied the January office update. Either of these could explain the difference.

My version number is different: Microsoft Word 2016 MSO (16.0.9029.2106) 32-bit