Developing Training Materials

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Madeline
Propeller Head

Developing Training Materials

Post by Madeline »

hi,

Any developers of training material here? I've recently moved our docs over to Madcap and Capture. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do when we develop training. Currently it's Powerpoint for classroom based training which involves a whole lot of copying and pasting and we can't leverage any of our previously translated content from Lingo. But I'm not sure quite sure if I should be aiming to produce some sort of HTML5 output from Flare that can be used to support the training. Or using Mimic to produce training. Would love to hear if others use Madcap to produce training materials? If so, in what and what output format? If not, what do you use instead?

Thanks
Madeline
Tex Righter
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Developing Training Materials

Post by Tex Righter »

Greetings ...

I would like to echo Madeline's questions.

Also, does MadCap have any webinars or blogs on the topic of using Flare as a basis or companion in the development of training materials and strategies? I understand that Flare is essentially a HAT. I have had much success in creating PDF/HTML user guides and reference manuals, but perhaps there are some creative folks out there that can share some insight into the way Flare can be used as a simple and effective multimedia training tool.

Avoiding the tasks of moving Flare content to PowerPoint would be great!

Regards,
Andy
Last edited by Tex Righter on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Don't have any answers as my team isn't responsible for producing the training materials, but in any event, WELCOME to these very helpful forums.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

I do this, but I don't try to emulate PowerPoint. I give my students a workbook (paper!) and teach directly within our program, not from pictures of our program. Might be different if I had to teach policies and procedures instead of software.

What I've found does work in a classroom, is to keep a pdf of the workbook open and flip back to that between each topic to show them that they do in fact have the resource material and that we're following the curriculum. After I started doing that, I've gotten comments from the students saying that they felt they were in a course rather than a presentation.

If you're addicted to flipping through static screens, perhaps build your project as a Flare slideshow?
Siegle
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Siegle »

What you do with the PDF actually sounds quite interesting, BedfordWriter. It almost feels like it ties everything together in a way.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I noticed in the latest newsletter that there's a webinar coming up for an interactive wizard, which might be useful for your purposes.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/resource ... inars.aspx
chrisj
Propeller Head

Post by chrisj »

I'm actually developing a training portal in Flare right now that I'm launching in January. It has both our help documentation and training documentation, interactive virtual training modules, etc. The idea is that this will eventually eliminate the need for an LMS.

One of the most powerful things that I've found is using TOCs and menu proxies to build out learning paths. Of course you can always give the option for a PDF also, but, depending on your needs, an online only solution might be more sustainable. Our software products change rapidly, so as soon as someone prints off a PDF it's outdated anyway.
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

Chris, I hope that you'll post a link when your portal goes online.
chrisj
Propeller Head

Post by chrisj »

BedfordWriter wrote:Chris, I hope that you'll post a link when your portal goes online.
I will. It won't be hidden behind a log in page, so it should be easy. What I'll be launching is phase 1 of a much larger initiative, so not everything I want will be live next month.

One thing I integrated into my current help system earlier this year was an interactive course catalog (for in-person training offerings). You can look at that here. Maybe it will help spark some ideas. http://solutionsonline.teamsoftware.com ... g_Home.htm?#

I'm improving on this particular concept and working with trainers to implement auto booking through Microsoft Bookings. Eventually the catalog will house all of the virtual training we have hidden behind an LMS log in right now as well.
Chris Jones
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

chrisj wrote: I'm actually developing a training portal in Flare right now that I'm launching in January. It has both our help documentation and training documentation, interactive virtual training modules, etc. The idea is that this will eventually eliminate the need for an LMS.
We are also trying to eliminate our LMS (at least, as it relates to customer-facing content) so I'm excited to see your progress. Please keep us updated!
chrisj wrote: One thing I integrated into my current help system earlier this year was an interactive course catalog (for in-person training offerings). You can look at that here. Maybe it will help spark some ideas. http://solutionsonline.teamsoftware.com ... g_Home.htm?#
Also, this looks a lot like our current proof of concept, which is encouraging. Thank you for sharing! :D
Casey

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Our training team has created a series of videos and other materials for users to view as part of their overall training, and we're planning on providing links to these in the training area of the Help system. We would also like to include a form of some kind to allow users to be quizzed/certified on the information they've ingested.

Has anyone had any success doing that sort of thing? We considered just putting together a series of Google forms (one per training video) and embedding or providing links to them, however several of our client sites block access to all things Google. :( Another idea we considered was somehow using MadCap Pulse to create an integrated form, but it doesn't seem like Pulse is designed for that sort of thing at all.

Any ideas along these lines anyone is willing to share?

Thank you!
Austin Wright

Flare 2022 r3 (18.2.8431.26678) :: TopNav HTML5 / PDF output
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:Our training team has created a series of videos and other materials for users to view as part of their overall training, and we're planning on providing links to these in the training area of the Help system. We would also like to include a form of some kind to allow users to be quizzed/certified on the information they've ingested.
We embed SurveyMonkey quizzes - no issues yet. Our IT also blocks Google forms/drive/anything of the sort so that was not an option for us.

Our learning paths consist of a series of pages - each page has a video or other relevant content (kind of like a module) and then the last page in the path contains the quiz. This allows us to track user progress for the most part, and then when the user completes the quiz, we get a notification on whether they've passed (and can then issue a certificate).

Overall, we're still in the VERY early stages, but so far, so good! :)
Casey

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

cdschroeder wrote:We embed SurveyMonkey quizzes ... the last page in the path contains the quiz. This allows us to track user progress for the most part, and then when the user completes the quiz, we get a notification on whether they've passed (and can then issue a certificate).
Thanks for this look into how you're doing things, Casey; sounds a lot like the path we're heading down.

We've talked about SurveyMonkey as an alternative to Google Forms, as well as JotForm (https://www.jotform.com) or Microsoft Forms (https://forms.office.com). We just need to settle on something that our clients wont block!
Austin Wright

Flare 2022 r3 (18.2.8431.26678) :: TopNav HTML5 / PDF output
SandraWitte
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by SandraWitte »

chrisj wrote:
BedfordWriter wrote:Chris, I hope that you'll post a link when your portal goes online.
I will. It won't be hidden behind a log in page, so it should be easy. What I'll be launching is phase 1 of a much larger initiative, so not everything I want will be live next month.

One thing I integrated into my current help system earlier this year was an interactive course catalog (for in-person training offerings). You can look at that here. Maybe it will help spark some ideas. http://solutionsonline.teamsoftware.com ... g_Home.htm?#

I'm improving on this particular concept and working with trainers to implement auto booking through Microsoft Bookings. Eventually the catalog will house all of the virtual training we have hidden behind an LMS log in right now as well.
Hi all!
We want to establish some kind of an LMS based in Moodle or maybe ILIAS which is developed by the University of Lucerne in Switzerland. Do you or anybody have an idea, how to integrate content from Flare into those LMS?
What about your portal? Any News?
chrisj
Propeller Head

Post by chrisj »

Integrating Flare content into an existing LMS (like Moodle) can be done, I'm sure, but you would need some custom dev to automate it. I'd start with looking at the Clean XHTML output type as a starting point.
Chris Jones