Build failed: Could not find file '.../Output/..blaa'

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
alsarg72
Propeller Head

Build failed: Could not find file '.../Output/..blaa'

Post by alsarg72 »

Hi all,

I am being plagued by Flare complaining that it can't find temporary files in the Output directory, after having done a Clean...

1) Build PDF ok.
2) Clean Project... it asks to confirm that I want to delete the Output directory, yes.
3) Build. Build failed: Could not find file 'H:\XXXXX\Output\userid\Temporary\PDF Manual\PDF_Manual_F90BF6D\'. (for example)

So yes, surprise surprise, it can't find files it itself has deleted!

Other factors that might have some bearing...

* H:\ is linked to a Mac share, where the project repo is.
* Between 1) and 2) I might be changing branches or whatnot. I don't know that it is only in that scenario. But the Output directory doesn't exist any more that it would otherwise.
* I've been going as far as closing Flare between 1) and 2), changing branches, reopening. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
* In the time it tooked to write this it decided to build again, as if some open file handle had been closed - but closing and opening the whole application doesn't help.

If anyone has any ideas and suggestions as to what might be going on I'll be very grateful.

Thanks, Al.
alsarg72
Propeller Head

Re: Build failed: Could not find file '.../Output/..blaa'

Post by alsarg72 »

It turns out this is the fault of the Mac SMB implementation. If you look in File Explorer at the Output folder it says it is deleted, of course you might say, but you can type a path inside the Output folder, and then browse from there, failing to open any deleted files, but the files and folders appear to exist from the point of view of browsing. I've had various issues working on a Mac mounted share, and have given up it. (It's because work doesn't want to share folders on the machine I'm using Flare on through RDP. I have to work around it in other ways.)
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

It sounds like you have linked something in your project to something in the output folder.
Try to find and fix this reference. Use Find and Replace in Files, Find /Output/, All file types, Find in source code.
You might also try running Analyzer on the project, with the output cleaned, to see if Flare can identify a broken link that points into the Output folder.
alsarg72
Propeller Head

Post by alsarg72 »

No, as I said, the problem is demonstrable outside Flare, it can be demonstrated just using Windows explorer - it is nothing to do with Flare, it only happens on Mac shares. Everything works perfectly if it is on the local hard disk or on a Windows share.