Flare 2018 XML editor is laggy when editing topics

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
bunnycat
Propeller Head

Flare 2018 XML editor is laggy when editing topics

Post by bunnycat »

Anyone notice lagging in the XML editor when editing topics, especially copy/pastes?

On Windows 7 box, Flare 2018 XML editor sometimes takes 2-3 seconds apiece to copy/paste blocks of text.
Project I'm in isn't huge but since I'm retagging things and reorganizing sections, I'm doing a lot of copy/pasting.

Didn't see this behavior in 2017 R3, so I might go back to using that one. I'm putting a performance monitor on the Flare.exe process to see about large spikes in CPU or memory.

Update: every time I copy/paste - the CPU and memory spikes and stays there a while.
Last edited by bunnycat on Mon May 07, 2018 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare 2018 XML editor is laggy when editing topics

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Well this is disturbing news. I'm still on 2017 R2 and it's often slow AF now.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I'm not seeing any slowness in the trial version so far.

Win7 Enterprise SP1
.NET Framework 4.7.2
jimstrider
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jimstrider »

To confirm this observation, I see significant lag in the XML editor also. The lag occurs for us while typing. It is so slow that the XML editor is unusable for practical work. I have asked two of my co-workers to install the update. One sees the same lagging input behavior, one does not.

The two machines on which we see the lag run Windows 7 Professional.

The machine on which we do not see the lag runs Windows 10.

The problem seems to be limited to the XML editor. The text editor does not show the same level of lag on text input.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

Is Auto Suggestion enabled on the machines that have the laggy behaviour?
jimstrider
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jimstrider »

AlexFox wrote:Is Auto Suggestion enabled on the machines that have the laggy behaviour?
Normally, yes. But turning it off or on makes no difference to the behavior.
jimstrider
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jimstrider »

I should also mention that the amount of lag is proportional to the size of the topic being edited. For new or short topics, the lag is trivial. Very long topics can be completely uneditable due to this problem.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Do you have the XML Editor set to use the web layout or the print layout? Very long topics viewed in print layout mode will definitely be harder/slower to work with than those same topics viewed in web layout, and perhaps this is now even more noticeable in Flare 2018. (I can’t confirm as I haven’t upgraded yet.) Even for those projects from which I generate only print output, I spend most of my editing time with the XML Editor set to web layout, just so that Flare’s doesn’t have to try to show the headers, footers, page breaks, and such.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
jimstrider
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jimstrider »

Nita Beck wrote:Do you have the XML Editor set to use the web layout or the print layout? Very long topics viewed in print layout mode will definitely be harder/slower to work with than those same topics viewed in web layout, and perhaps this is now even more noticeable in Flare 2018. (I can’t confirm as I haven’t upgraded yet.) Even for those projects from which I generate only print output, I spend most of my editing time with the XML Editor set to web layout, just so that Flare’s doesn’t have to try to show the headers, footers, page breaks, and such.
The lagging behavior appears in all layout modes, although there are some minor differences in how it manifests. My standard working mode is web layout.
bunnycat
Propeller Head

Post by bunnycat »

Nita Beck wrote:Do you have the XML Editor set to use the web layout or the print layout? Very long topics viewed in print layout mode will definitely be harder/slower to work with than those same topics viewed in web layout, and perhaps this is now even more noticeable in Flare 2018. (I can’t confirm as I haven’t upgraded yet.) Even for those projects from which I generate only print output, I spend most of my editing time with the XML Editor set to web layout, just so that Flare’s doesn’t have to try to show the headers, footers, page breaks, and such.
Mine's usually set for Web layout. And Auto-suggest is on. I can try turning auto-suggest off. But 2017 R3 was set with the same, and I didn't experience the same set of behaviors there with the lag/CPU/memory spike.
x
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I've also experienced laggy behaviour since upgrading, and as you say it's on Print layout that it's worse. Thing is, I WANT to see what it looks like as a PDF output because the graphic sizes change in Print but don't change in Non-Print, so editing in Web layout isn't sufficient, and some of my topics are 10+ pages long. Think I'll need to raise a bug...

And I'm not linked to source control either, which I know sometimes caused lags as I do my source control outside of Flare.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx