Flare 2018 changes Capture styles

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
lanval
Propeller Head

Flare 2018 changes Capture styles

Post by lanval »

We have a lot of numbered palette items in our projects, and Flare 2018 changes how all of them look. Considering how many we have and the time that would be required to change them all, we are sticking with 2017.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Michael
pelikano
Propeller Head

Re: Flare 2018 changes Capture styles

Post by pelikano »

Wow. I just noticed this happening in some of my callouts. Text goes HUGE or disappears altogether. Need to do a little survey. I upgraded on May 2.
simona
Propeller Head

Post by simona »

We are testing Flare 2018 right now and have the same problem:

Callouts with Flare 2017 r3:
Callout steps with Flare2017r.png
Callouts with Flare 2018:
Callout steps with Flare2018.png
We have hundreds of screenshots with thousands of such step # callouts.

I need to analzye what is happening here, but at the moment I consider this a bug that I will report.

It might have something to do with the new Capture integration into Flare. I only downloaded and tested the new Flare 2018, not the integrated Capture which appears to be a separate download (more information on this see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30328)

Anyone else have more info on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flare 2023 r3, Capture 7
TechWriter with 10+ years Flare experience (software)
99% remote
lanval
Propeller Head

Post by lanval »

The new integrated Capture is simply Capture given away. It is the same version 7.0.

I think that the issue may be updates made to the MadCap CSS that get bundled in when building a target.
Cheers,
Michael
rpa
Propeller Head

Post by rpa »

Same problem here. Text in images is not visible anymore in built output. MadCap already confirmed the bug to me:

"Thank you for contacting MadCap Technical Support.
I was able to replicate the same behavior on my end. It looks like this is due to a bug in Flare.
Please note that I have documented the issue #140569 and reported this on your behalf to our development team. You will be notified via email if a resolution for this is included in a future patch or release version."

Hope they will fix it soon.
pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

rpa: thanks for opening the bug with Support.

simona: I only installed the new Flare and Mimic. I already had Capture 7.0 installed and I presumed all MadCap did was add the Capture link into the Flare toolbar.

lanval: A CSS change was my first thought. I've never looked into Capture CSS files. Now I may have to. :(
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

We've also reported this to MadCap support. Our callout text has disappeared entirely. :shock:

Oddly enough, if you open the image file separately (even from the HTML5 output folder), the callouts display properly. So the issue is solely on the display side, possibly related to the default stylesheets as previously mentioned.

The official workaround is to downgrade to 2017 r3. Yay...
Casey

pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

Yes I filed the bug and Support added my case to the number mentioned above in the thread.

They also advised to build with 2017 r3. I did so and the call-outs went back to normal in the output. So all is OK for now.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I have also reported this bug - the text in my callouts vanishes when pdfs are built under 2018, fine with 2017r3.
(There appears to be no problem in the xml editor or preview, only on build.)

2017 r3
callouts_2017r3.png
callouts_2018.png
pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

Hey does anyone have any news regarding this bug? It has been a while.

I hope they didn't fix it and forget to notify me.

Thanks
P
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

It was fixed fairly swiftly, see https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/F ... _Notes.htm.
All has been well since a patch at the end of May, though I'm about to click on the r2 update....