A better editor

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
DoTheWriteThing
Propeller Head

A better editor

Post by DoTheWriteThing »

Hi everyone,

I find Flare's XML editor not as usable as some others, it seems to generate a lot of errors on HTML which works fine elsewhere, has anyone successfully configured it to ignore these errors?
I would be grateful for any suggestions,
ST
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: A better editor

Post by RamonS »

What errors does it produce? Does the HTML you use pass W3C validation? If not, then it's not the editor's fault.
DoTheWriteThing
Propeller Head

Post by DoTheWriteThing »

RamonS wrote:What errors does it produce? Does the HTML you use pass W3C validation? If not, then it's not the editor's fault.
I get a lot of errors. All kinds of things cause errors.
For example, unclosed tags produce errors, even if they are tags which don't require closing tags, for example <meta>.
<br> produces an error.
  produces errors.
Are these all not W3C compliant?
And the error messages are not accurate. They often indicate the wrong line number, making it hard to track down the error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Source topics in Flare are in XHTML format, which is stricter than HTML.
For example, you need closing tags for everything, and attributes can't be minimised.
See: https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_xhtml.asp

If you add HTML files to Flare, it'll usually prompt you to convert it (to XHTML).
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Seconding what Dave wrote. I know for sure that <br> won't validate.
Check with https://validator.w3.org/ . Using the direct input tab allows for pasting in the page source. Will tell you exactly what is wrong where and why.
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

The Flare editor will supply a line break as <br />. Which is properly closed in XHMTL. Just do a shift-enter.
In the extremely rare case where I want a non-breaking space, I type shift-space, which generates a  

I don't know how to make the Flare XML editor generate something that contains invalid XML. The only time I see such a thing is when I'm typing in the text editor, where it's clearly my doing.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Also, if you import HTML files (as opposed to just dropping them into the project), Flare should fix all these issues to make a proper XHTML source file. If it doesn't, report a bug.