lock table widths?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
autocart
Propeller Head

lock table widths?

Post by autocart »

Hi all,

I have following real-life-problem:
When I edit the content of a table, every now and then I accidently click and drag the border of a cell and thus change the column width, which I had set to a specific percent value. So far I always noticed it (I think) and was able to hit "undo" but it nevertheless is annoying.

Is it possible to lock the width of at least the table columns but maybe of any table widths?

thx and regards, S.
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: lock table widths?

Post by devans »

If you use table styles, you can set a width on the columns. I'm not certain whether it actually locks the columns though.
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

anyone else? someone who actually knows and is willing to actually contribute to the actual question asked? thx.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

@devans, thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion, SOME of us appreciate it!

(Is there something in the air today? Grumpy replies are not what we usually get on the forums, so please don't stop responding when you have a useful suggestion to make.)

Following on from the suggestion of using table styles, it is possible to apply styles to all the tables in a topic or in several topics, so your suggestion is at least a sensible way to re-apply table styles even if they've been changed.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:"... so please don't stop responding when you have a useful suggestion to make."
Thank you, I completely agree with these words - and with the opposite also.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you manually edit the column width, then that will set the width as an inline style on the column (col tag).
Because it's an inline style, it will take precedence over any width that is set in the CSS file (for the table styleshet).

So the only way I know to override the inline style, would be to set an !important property on the column width in the CSS.

I wouldn't suggest trying to edit the table stylesheet (for various reasons), but you can copy the relevant table stylesheet classes to your own stylesheet and add the !important property.
For example, to set the width for the first 2 columns in a table called "MyTable":

Code: Select all

.TableStyle-MyTable-Column-Column1
{
	width: 40% !important;
}

.TableStyle-MyTable-Column-Column2
{
	width: 20% !important;
}
autocart wrote:anyone else? someone who actually knows and is willing to actually contribute to the actual question asked? thx.
You're asking people to give you free help, so don't be an arse.
autocart
Propeller Head

Post by autocart »

[edited out]
I let everyone decide for himself who is what.

EDIT: After re-reading your reply 2 or 3 times it seems to me that you actually did answer my question, just with other words which I did not recognize as having a connection to my question. I apologize for my blindness. Must try your idea. Thank you for it.
EDIT END

PS: Only because an answer or service is free does not make it automatically ok for it to be low quality.