Are Snippet Variables Static?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Are Snippet Variables Static?

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Hi folks,

I've recently begun using the powerful Snippet Conditions and Snippet Variables features to build multi-purpose, reusable snippet components. They're very useful and powerful features! But...

It appears that Snippet Variables, which use the multi-definition function of variables, are essentially static. That is, if I have the following snippet variable, with three possible definitions (and a main one I only use as a placeholder):

varField FieldName
varField Street
varField City
varField ZIP

and then I later change ZIP to Postal Code, the variables already placed in the content do not change. They retain the value, ZIP.

Is that the correct behavior? I haven't yet tried this with regular multi-definition variables, but do they behave the same way? Does anyone know if there's a workaround, other than a Find/Replace?

Thanks,
-jeff
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Are Snippet Variables Static?

Post by SteveS »

Do you see this behaviour when you build or publish your project?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Are Snippet Variables Static?

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for my own delay. I subscribed to the topic but I didn't see the email alert. *sigh*

Strangely enough, the snippet variables do seem to mostly update properly on publish. In fact, some of the variables even update within Flare, as I originally believed they should. It looks like only a select few remain static. I haven't yet had time to do any serious testing but it looks like the main culprit may possibly be snippet variables set at the topic level rather than the snippet level. Again, I haven't had time yet to delve further.

Anyhow, thank you for pointing out that, no, snippet variables are not static.

Cheers,
-jeff