Glossary Proxy: Exclude entries based on conditions/targets

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Niels
Propeller Head

Glossary Proxy: Exclude entries based on conditions/targets

Post by Niels »

I am struggling with the conceptualization of conditions in combination with the glossary for print output (using MadCap Flare v2017 r3).

Is it possible to have one central glossary where different targets (via their dedicated glossary proxies) pick only some entries from?

I can see that it is possible to apply conditions on the involved elements, i.e.: on targets, on the glossary proxy itself and even on single entries in the glossary. I managed to hide the complete glossary proxy by a condition but not selective, single entries which it generates. Since single entries in the glossary can be tagged with a condition, I wonder if this can be infused into the glossary proxy somehow.
Niels
Propeller Head

Re: Glossary Proxy: Exclude entries based on conditions/targ

Post by Niels »

As I have learned by now from the experts, *exclusion* is the key rather than explicit inclusion:
In our use case we cannot add one new entry and simply specify to include this in one target (by selecting one condition with "include") but we have to do it vice versa and select a whole bunch of conditions to specify exclusions...
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I would suggest that the best way to do this might be to have Glossary A specific to Target A and Glossary B specific to Target B, where perhaps Target C uses Glossaries A, B and C (You select in the target, under the glossary tab, which glossary or glossaries to use).
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

For now, also being inspired by speakers from MadWorld Prague, I will stick to my alternative solution where I manage abbreviations via an Excel sheet that easily let's me generate snippets and lists of abbreviations by my macro. And I do think that this approach presents a much clearer overview than mapping everything to Flare concepts...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.