On-the-fly conditional content in Flare online output?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

On-the-fly conditional content in Flare online output?

Post by chuck_agari »

There's a content development tool called ProProfs Knowledge Base, a SaaS tool that I used at my last job. One feature that it offers, and why it's in the consideration mix for the content development tool in my new job, it that it can, at least according to its docs, provide on-the-fly conditional content.

Read about it here: https://knowledgebase.proprofs.com/intr ... al-content

Basically, content can be filtered based on a number of criteria, including the two I'm interested in: URL parameter and SSO parameter. This allows me to, for example, develop and tag a content set so that, for example, users who can only view in an app, meaning that they have just a "view" role, would see only help content for what they can do, while an admin, who also has an admin role, would see additional content, such as how to configure the app. Or, for example the app is white labeled, and a partner wants their own branding and naming, so based on brand SSO parameters, the branding and naming in the help can be different.

Can any of Flare's online output be configured to provide this type of functionality, and if so, where do I read about how it works and how it's coded/configured in any of the user guides?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: On-the-fly conditional content in Flare online output?

Post by Psider »

It sounds like ProProfs is a hosting solution as well as a documentation tool, so it has integrated tools to handle the server side permissioning? In which case, maybe Central has the features you're looking for? I haven't used it myself, so can't provide any guidance.

Otherwise, you can set up manual filters that users select for themselves. https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... xample.htm

Hosting on your own server, you'd have to work with your own developers and IT to set up a user permissioning solution. It might be possible, as from memory, condition codes will make it into the output assuming you don't set up a build condition. But, yeah, custom solution.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

chuck_agari wrote:Can any of Flare's online output be configured to provide this type of functionality, and if so, where do I read about how it works and how it's coded/configured in any of the user guides?
In short, no - you can't produce a single output from Flare, and dynamically hide/show content based on conditions, so that it behaves like using two separate outputs with conditions.

The longer answer is maybe. You could tag content with conditions (or classes, or data attributes), and use a bit of scripting and CSS to hide/show that tagged content. I do this in one of my projects. That works ok for content inside a topic, but it wouldn't be a complete solution and behave like separate outputs. For example, you couldn't hide parts of the menu, and everything is still included in the search results.
Michelle_Gardner
Propeller Head

Post by Michelle_Gardner »

Psider wrote:Hosting on your own server, you'd have to work with your own developers and IT to set up a user permissioning solution. It might be possible, as from memory, condition codes will make it into the output assuming you don't set up a build condition. But, yeah, custom solution.
@Psider, when you say "assuming you don't set up a build condition," what exactly does that mean? Are you saying don't select Include/Exclude for the Conditional Text in the Target Editor?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Are you saying don't select Include/Exclude for the Conditional Text in the Target Editor?
Yes, you would tag content, but not include or exclude any tags in the target settings, so all the content is generated into the output and the condition tags remain as properties in the HTML.