"Convert to XML" Issue with native Flare Files

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
tkilpatrick
Jr. Propeller Head

"Convert to XML" Issue with native Flare Files

Post by tkilpatrick »

Hi there,

With the arrival of a new technical writer to the team, I recently went through the process of integrating Flare with GIT, using BitBucket as our repository (repo). All seems to be running smoothly, insofar as we can both push and pull each other's project files from the repo. However, with this recent integration, a strange phenomenon is now occurring: The vast majority of .htm files we pull from the repo display the following message when opening them:

"The file xxx.htm is not an XML file. Do you want to start the 'Convert to XML Wizard.'"

I went ahead and clicked Yes to see what happens...well, when I convert a file, it appends a ton of unwanted code to it, mostly seemingly to do with running JavaScript code I've never seen before (I noticed this in the Text Editor view). Even in the XML Editor view, at the very top of the articles, it also randomly adds a paragraph that says "Open topic with navigation" and a div below it displaying "You are here." Wait a minute, I didn't add that...

Now, these are not external files we're bringing into our projects: These are .htm files we create directly within Flare, so I'm sure sure why we're now getting a "convert to XML" pop-up. To my knowledge, the only variable here is the recent introduction of GIT and BitBucket. Another wrinkle to this mess is that we've also used SourceTree to merge updates into BitBucket...perhaps SourceTree is the cause?

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it possible that GIT, BitBucket, or even SourceTree is somehow modifying these .htm files in some way as they're being pushed/pulled to/from the repo?

Thanks so much for any help/insight,
-Troy
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: "Convert to XML" Issue with native Flare Files

Post by Psider »

The "Open with navigation" text sounds like content from the output. You haven't managed to somehow get your output files in your source directories, have you? I'd double-check the setting for the directory you generate to and publish to, to make sure they are either outside the source folders, or set it to default. I'd also check if you are adding the output to source control, and where that is being checked in.

(If you have got output files in your source directories, it would probably be easier to go back to a backup, rather than try to tidy up your code.)