Mail setup: "Could not find outgoing Mail server"

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Mail setup: "Could not find outgoing Mail server"

Post by oceanclub »

I'm trying to complete the Send Files for Review wizard in Madcap Flare 12.

I have Outlook 2016 32-bit installed locally, using Microsoft Exchange.

However, the "Outgoing Mail Server" field of "Mail Setup" displays "(Could not find outgoing Mail server")

If I click "Lookup in Active Directory", I get "Failed to locate Exchange Server".

P.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Mail setup: "Could not find outgoing Mail server"

Post by mattf »

Really, no one has responded to this in seven months? My company wants to look into buying a few floating Contributor licenses, and encountering this issue right away is discouraging, because I tried Contributor years ago and ran into this previously.

@oceanclub, the first thing you might do is check to make sure that both Flare and Outlook are of the same type, bitwise. They have to be both 32-bit, or both 64-bit. If they're not both the same you get this problem for sure.

I have 64-bit Flare and 64-bit Outlook, so I don't know why I'm getting this message. Madcap's Flare help just says "if the mail server cannot be found" you can drop the review package into an email message manually; it doesn't say anything about what we might do to troubleshoot why the mail server cannot be found. I suspect this is a bug in Flare that never got fixed because Madcap would rather we use Central instead. I've sent the review package manually, but it makes me queasy that we're even considering buying more broken software. Bummer.
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
kmacdowe
Propeller Head

Post by kmacdowe »

Similar question. I am using 2019. If you click "Setup Mail" then "Lookup in Active Directory" I get a "Failed to locate Exchange server". I am looking into the name of my companies Exchange Server but I am not sure that will work.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Try just typing "Outlook" in there without specifying the name of the server. I can't remember if this works. (Maybe it was a dream. My Contributor trial ended without a purchase.)
Matt F
Gregjohnsondsm
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Gregjohnsondsm »

This should be so much easier than it is. Someone from Madcap needs to address this issue. All our other packages integrate with our mail system (GMAIL) just fine. I have exactly the same issue with 2019r2 as described above.
netmatt
Propeller Head

Post by netmatt »

Just ran into this...the positive is that it fails and then allows me to save and send as attachment. The negative is I have to go through the process of failing to get that save as attachment option, I think :(
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Hi netmatt. I think I remember Madcap telling me that you MUST send it as an attachment, that the mail server field is a red herring. I just put "Outlook" there. Like I said above, 1) we didn't buy Contributor, and 2) my memory of this whole episode is unclear, and anyway I have selective amnesia about processes in Flare that give me enduring heartache.
Matt F