Memory Leak in 2018?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
writer_sam
Propeller Head

Memory Leak in 2018?

Post by writer_sam »

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing what I can only describe as a memory leak in 2018 (build 14.0.6738.27462).

I have Flare running over a number of days, with a project open. I currently have 2 topics open, an import file, and Flare's own Start Page. The same project has been open since Tuesday, but the number of topics open have varied (I tend to always have the import file open as I frequently import updates from my global project).

Without a project open, Flare's memory usage hovers just under the 400MB mark. Obviously, when I open a project, it jumps up but then steadily rises throughout the day. At this moment, I'm experiencing a lag when typing (only in Flare, all other programs are fine). I've just restarted my machine and the memory usage has dropped to just under 400MB again, but the lag has only slightly improved. I sometimes work with 3 projects open and have never encountered this before.

I've checked the specs for Flare 2018 and I definitely meet the minimum requirements.

It may be environmental, but just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this ...

Thanks.
To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Memory Leak in 2018?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I've had performance issues, often when I've been doing loads of search and replace, where I can't type into the Find What box, and it eventually catches up with itself after a while. I think it has something to do with .NET (but I could be wildly off target with that assumption).

I've also had really laggy typing when the antivirus software decides that I'm being very naughty, and when that happens it renders the machine totally useless, so again not the fault of Flare directly.

So in brief, you're not the only one who experiences lag, but there could be reasons outside of Flare that cause it.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
BaritoneJP
Propeller Head

Re: Memory Leak in 2018?

Post by BaritoneJP »

I also have lagging issues with Flare. I really do not think it is outside of Flare for the most part. Even when doing a simple rename of a topic it takes a long time for Flare to respond. Even when task manager has zero to 5 percent processor usage and the memory is fine, Flare still takes a long time just to respond to the keyboard I/O. It is becoming an issue with my ability to work with Flare.

The following is what I've submitted using the technical support contact form:
I've been having performance issues that have slowed my productivity using Flare, making editing almost impossible and very cumbersome. It takes seconds to minutes in order to type a word to see it on the screen. You could also say this is really laggy typing in any scenario.

Often, when I've started a search and replace, I'm not able to type into the Find What box. Eventually, Flare catches up with itself after a while and things go back to "OK".

I've also noticed that the Content Explorer tree takes a while to respond to anything, a selection, a right-click, a double-click. Anything Source control bound (TFS) also exhibits lagging. It is like anything you do to one file, Flare checks every file. If you look at the Content Explorer tree, it flashes over and over again. Like some type of refresh is being called multiple times.

This has become so bad that I'm unable to use this product with any reliability. It is very burdensome.

I expect Flare to be able to respond to my typing and mouse clicks without having the Flare UI freeze, be unresponsive, and in general unusable.
Thank you for your comments and help with my quandary ...
Jamey