What causes this FrameMaker target error?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

What causes this FrameMaker target error?

Post by chuck_agari »

flaretargeterror.PNG
I get this immediately upon trying to build a FrameMaker target. The only thing I found about this was an older post here that referred to a MC KB article that no longer exists.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: What causes this FrameMaker target error?

Post by Nita Beck »

I went looking in the latest knowledge base (https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Welcome.htm) but came up short. You might have to pitch this one to MadCap. Speaking totally anecdotally, my read of the user base is that not many Flare users are outputting to FrameMaker. They are importing FrameMaker content, but not generating FrameMaker files. I could be wrong, but...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

Nita Beck wrote:I went looking in the latest knowledge base (https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Welcome.htm) but came up short. You might have to pitch this one to MadCap. Speaking totally anecdotally, my read of the user base is that not many Flare users are outputting to FrameMaker. They are importing FrameMaker content, but not generating FrameMaker files. I could be wrong, but...
Yeah, I figured, but our partner, who originally said they wanted "DITA-based XML" are now telling me that they can't handle DITA and are asking for FrameMaker source files. Now that I have everything in Flare. I do NOT want to go backwards, especially temporary, so I was testing this out.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

Well, I filed a bug. I got a response asking me to run in administrator mode.

Which introduced a different issue. My project is stored on the shared VM drive so I can access the files, generally the output, directly on my MBP. When I started Flare in admin mode, I was not able to "see" any of the shared drives/folders, only local ones. (This in itself is an issue.)

So I was asked to copy the project to a local folder and try again. Interestingly, it now works. (Also interestingly, I tried starting Flare normally, not in admin mode, and it also worked, so it seems that admin/non-admin isn't the issue here. And I found yet another bug: When Flare tried to re-build, I first got a dialog saying the project hadn't changed and did I want to build again, and when I said "yes," the build stopped with an error saying the destination folder wasn't empty.)

Sure, there probably not a lot of people exporting the Frame files, and for me, I'm expecting this to be either a temporary thing or one I can head off (our partner had asked for "DITA-based XML"), and especially if the latter works out I may not need this anyway. But doggone it, MadCap's been coding this product for years. I wish they'd spend more time testing and fixing bugs for the features they do promise than on adding additional features.