Automatically Synchronize TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Dabitoff
Jr. Propeller Head

Automatically Synchronize TOC

Post by Dabitoff »

Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times before...

Flare 2017 r3
I want to set "Automatically Synchronize TOC" option in the HTML5 Skin Editor. This setting is said to be on the General tab. I only have Setup, Community, Styles, and UI Text. Can someone put me out of my misery?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Automatically Synchronize TOC

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)

What specific "flavor" of HTML5 are you trying to create?

If you're building Tripane HTML5 output, the "Automatically Synchronize TOC" option is in the tripane skin on the General tab. (That skin has 7 tabs, BTW.)

If you're building Top Nav HTML5 ouput, the option is in the main Top Nav skin on the Setup tab. (That skin has 4 tabs, none named General.)

If you're building Side Nav HTML5 output, the option is in the main Side Nav skin on the Setup tab. (That skin has 4 tabs, none named General.)

If Flare's documentation is telling you to look on the General tab in a skin that has only four tabs, that sounds like a documentation error. It should refer to the Setup tab. (Not an auspicious beginning for a new user...)

HTH.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Dabitoff
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Dabitoff »

Hi Nita, thanks for your welcome.
I must be missing something...
I'm building HTML5 Top Navigation with a sidebar menu based on the Flare Coronado project template. In the HTML5 Skin Editor I don't see a check box to automatically synch the TOC.
Any ideas?
TopNav.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Ah, there's the rub, and sorry about this. I was looking at Flare 2018 (but should have looked at 2017 r3, given that's what you said you are using). I've just confirmed that that option IS present there but it is NOT present in Flare 2017 r3. I also see that in the What's New topic for Flare 2018, Auto-Sync TOC is the first item listed under "Additional New Features" (https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Flare.htm.

It looks like you can't achieve what you're after with Flare 2017 r3 with Top Nav HTML5 output. :(
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

You can ignore the Automatically Synchronize TOC setting - it has no effect whatsoever on menu proxies.

The 'sidebar' menu in the Coranado template is a menu proxy (that template is Top Nav).

The menu proxy will always highlight the current topic - by default it'll show the topic in bold, but you can change the style in the menu skin (not top nav skin) - styles > menu item > selected.
It's worked like this since Flare v12. There is no setting to switch this highlight on/off.

The option to Automatically Synchronize TOC is not related the menu proxy - it only highlights items in the skin's menu and the responsive ('hamburger') menus. So with a top nav skin, this means the menu bar at the top, and the responsive slide-on menu. So in older versions of Flare, it's these menus that weren't synchronised with the TOC.

If you can't see the topic highlighted in your menu proxy, then perhaps (a) the topic isn't actually in the menu, or (b) you've edited the styles in the menu skin and can't see that it is selected.
Dabitoff
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Dabitoff »

I can see I haven't explained myself well...
I can see each selected topic highlighted in the menu proxy, but depending on its position in the TOC, it often isn't visible until you scroll down to it.
I have the sidebar menu fixed height (with scrollbar), sticky, and not context-sensitive so that the whole TOC contents are in there. My users expected the sidebar menu to 'auto-scroll' when each topic was selected so that the highlighted topic was always visible. I mistakenly though that "Synchronize TOC" might achieve that.