Will index keywords improve search functionality if...

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
spatte22
Propeller Head

Will index keywords improve search functionality if...

Post by spatte22 »

... the index is not enabled in the skin?

My understanding is that adding an index to an html output will significantly increase build times. Additionally, my team's project won't actually rely/use an index, we just want to improve our search accuracy.

My research so far leads me to think that yes, simply adding index keywords would help, even if I did not have a physical index available for users to see/use.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Will index keywords improve search functionality if...

Post by NorthEast »

spatte22 wrote:My understanding is that adding an index to an html output will significantly increase build times.
I disagree with that. I'd be surprised if there's a noticeable increase.
spatte22 wrote:My research so far leads me to think that yes, simply adding index keywords would help, even if I did not have a physical index available for users to see/use.
Yes, you've answered your own question. Index keywords are included in the search by default (you can Exclude index entries in the target).
Including the index tab in the skin has no effect on the search - and some skins don't have an index tab (top nav and side nav).
spatte22
Propeller Head

Re: Will index keywords improve search functionality if...

Post by spatte22 »

Thanks, Dave :)

Dave Lee wrote:
spatte22 wrote:My understanding is that adding an index to an html output will significantly increase build times.
I disagree with that. I'd be surprised if there's a noticeable increase.

oh really!? I'll have to test it out to see what(or if) the effect is. We have a pretty huge project, so we'll see if that is a factor.