Apply Dialog failed error adding topic description

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
TR Lisa
Sr. Propeller Head

Apply Dialog failed error adding topic description

Post by TR Lisa »

Does anyone else get this error when adding descriptions in topic properties? I get it 9 times out of 10 as soon as I add a description and click OK. Then all of the text disappears from the XML Editor. Usually I can click the Text Editor tab then click back to XML Editor and the text restores. Other times I have to save, close, and reopen the topic. Sometimes it saved my description. Sometimes it didn't. It's becoming a big annoyance and slowdown since I'm adding descriptions to every topic I'm creating and creating dozens each day.

MadCap Flare 2018 r2
Apply Dialog failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

HTML5 output.
jaclark
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Apply Dialog failed error adding topic description

Post by jaclark »

Seeing similar (Flare 2018 r2) ... will pursue with MC.
jaclark
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Apply Dialog failed error adding topic description

Post by jaclark »

The following error was also reported when I opened the project with the topic style class issue:

Background:B3.ContentAnalyzerKit.ContentDatabaseWrapperException: OutgoingLink: database disk image is malformed
database disk image is malformed ---> System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: database disk image is malformed
database disk image is malformed
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Reset(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Step(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader..ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(CommandBehavior behavior)
at B3.ContentAnalyzerKit.ContentDatabaseWrapper.RemoveLinksForFile(Int64 fileId)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Both issues were resolved by cleaning the project. Not sure this will help in your case, but maybe worth a try.

Guidance from MadCap on cleaning projects:

This process will delete the temporary folders associated with the local Project folder. They will be freshly regenerated by Flare when your Project is reopened.

***Please Note: We will be deleting some folders that hold temporary files. Make copies of the folders we are about to delete at a different location if you are concerned about losing any data, such as previously built Targets.***

Once ready, please follow the instructions below:
1. Close Flare
2. Using Windows Explorer, browse to your Project folder
3. Delete the Analyzer and Output folders
4. Navigate to your Project folder and delete the Users folder
(5.) Now you may reopen your Flare program and/or Flare Project