Hover maps not working with Flare 2018 r2

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ruthhenry
Jr. Propeller Head

Hover maps not working with Flare 2018 r2

Post by ruthhenry »

I have implemented hover maps in my company's Help Site from the website https://mike.kelley.consulting/tools/hovermapgenerator ... the hover maps were working. Recently I upgraded to Flare 2018 r2 and the hover maps have stopped working. When I hover over the image the map outlines display but no pop-up displays with the text.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Lyn_H
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Hover maps not working with Flare 2018 r2

Post by Lyn_H »

Were you able to resolve this issue and get your hover maps working again with 2018 r2?

I am trying to implement hover maps for the first time and am having the same issue. The image displays with the outline, but no popup displays. It's difficult to say if I'm doing something wrong, or whether they are not working because I'm using 2018 r2... I am also getting an error showing in messages CSS: Invalid display: inline-flex.

Does anyone know of any help resources specifically for troubleshooting hover maps? I am relatively new to Flare so still learning! Thanks :)
ruthhenry
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ruthhenry »

I have had no response about the hover maps problem.

My hover maps were working prior to the Flare 2018 rc2 update and before the update I would receive the the CSS: Invalid display: inline-flex message. I only assume that something in Flare has changed to stop the hover maps from working.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I think the jquery version updated in 2018r2, so maybe there's a conflict with the jquery used in the hovermaps and the new jquery? Unfortunately that's about the limit of my knowledge and ideas. Maybe you could contact Mike using his contact link?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Lyn_h, welcome to the forums!

I can only respond to one of your points, and that's the message about "flex" popping up. Unfortunately Flare doesn't fully support flex, but I have had it confirmed that the output works. (The only suggestion I have for dealing with this is to make the Messages pane really short!)

I don't use hover maps so can't comment on your other point.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Lyn_H
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Lyn_H »

Thanks everyone :)

I've managed to get this working using 2017 R3, so this leads me to believe I'm actually doing it right and I'm happily ignoring the 'inline flex' message! But it still doesn't work in 2018 R2...

I've sent a question directly to Mike Kelley via his contacts page so I'll share any response I get here.
yipenburg
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by yipenburg »

hi everyone, I can't use Mike Kelley's blog for any page, include the link earlier in this thread. You land on a 404 page for this and other blog pages. Anyone know what's up?
JHine
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JHine »

I noticed this morning that my popups were not displaying when I hovered over one of my hover maps, but once the output was published to our webserver, everything was working as expected; so I'm not sure what is causing the different behaviour. (Yes, I too am using Flare 2018 r2.)

My links to Mike's website also do not work. I did a Google search and got no results for anything remotely linked to his hover map generator.

Lyn_H, have you received a response from Mike? My last contact with him was about 5 months ago, where he helped me out with an issue.
Lyn_H
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Lyn_H »

JHine wrote:I noticed this morning that my popups were not displaying when I hovered over one of my hover maps, but once the output was published to our webserver, everything was working as expected; so I'm not sure what is causing the different behaviour. (Yes, I too am using Flare 2018 r2.)

My links to Mike's website also do not work. I did a Google search and got no results for anything remotely linked to his hover map generator.

Lyn_H, have you received a response from Mike? My last contact with him was about 5 months ago, where he helped me out with an issue.
I've had no luck contacting Mike either, unfortunately. And yes, it looks like his blog and hovermap generator has been taken down :(
areed
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Hover maps not working with Flare 2018 r2 - SOLVED (sort

Post by areed »

I found a workaround that restored my hover map functionality. As someone speculated, the issue is the 3.0.0 update of jQuery. To get around this, I forced my affected master pages to look at version 2.1.2 instead, and then I rebuilt my project. To do so, add this line to your masterpage(s):

<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.1.2.js"></script>

I added this line as the first in a list of scripts just before the closing body tag.

Of course, if you have functionality which depends on the 3.0.0 release of jQuery, this will not work for you.

All the best...
ogaleswapnil
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Hover maps not working with Flare 2018 r2 - SOLVED (sort

Post by ogaleswapnil »

areed wrote:I found a workaround that restored my hover map functionality. As someone speculated, the issue is the 3.0.0 update of jQuery. To get around this, I forced my affected master pages to look at version 2.1.2 instead, and then I rebuilt my project. To do so, add this line to your masterpage(s):

<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.1.2.js"></script>

I added this line as the first in a list of scripts just before the closing body tag.

Of course, if you have functionality which depends on the 3.0.0 release of jQuery, this will not work for you.

All the best...
Thanks for this. It works beautifully and saved me hours of searching on how to make it work.