Multiple Versions of a Product from HTML5 Top Nav output

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Smriti
Jr. Propeller Head

Multiple Versions of a Product from HTML5 Top Nav output

Post by Smriti »

Hi All,
This is my first post in this forum. I looked for similar topics first, but found no matching issues. If I overlooked some thread that might be useful for my specific case, please do share. 

I am working on a product that will have different numbered versions going forward, for example version 2018.1, 2018.2, and so on. 

Right now I am producing a single Top Nav and Side Menu HTML 5 online output, which is hosted on Madcap Central. ( I have 1 TOC and 1 Target)
Typically content change from one version to the next is very minimal but sometimes the change is larger requiring new topics and and updated TOC.

I need your inputs to understand which approach I should take to go support product versions on the doc portal page.
1. Should I use conditions for each version and then add a version (condition) filter on the home page? isnt this too complicated ?
2. Should I make copies of the project for each release and then merge projects? Project V1, Project V2,
3. But how do I consolidate all of them?

> Its been too confusing and would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks
Smriti
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Multiple Versions of a Product from HTML5 Top Nav output

Post by devjoe »

Use a version control system to capture the state of the help at the completion of each version, and preferably use branches to allow you to modify the older help when needed.
Use a version-numbered folder on the server for each product version's help, as MadCap does, for instance, with the Flare 2018 help at http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare2018/ .
This means you may be changing a publishing destination along with version number variables and the like when you update the help for each new version.
Smriti
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Smriti »

Hi DevJoe,

Thank you for your response. I agree with your suggestion. But then how do I merge all my projects on a single Home page from where my users can select the version of help they want to see. What i want to do is this: https://www.tableau.com/support/help

using The Top-Nav and side help HTML 5 project will this be possible? How do I get there?

Thanks
Smriti
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

You don't want to merge them, because that involves the TOCs and indexes and search all getting entangled. Each one sits in a separate folder on the server and you make a simple home page as another project with external links to the server URLs for the other projects.
skalgutkar
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by skalgutkar »

Hi Smriti,

Were you able to implement your idea for product version? I am looking to implement something similar and it would be nice to know more about how to move forward.

Thanks,
Shrutika