Linking topics between merged projects

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
dianej7080
Jr. Propeller Head

Linking topics between merged projects

Post by dianej7080 »

Hello,

We have separate projects for each of our product suites. Previously, we would provide only the WebHelp related to a specific product group within those products. Going forward, though, we are going to need to start providing the same help across all product suites. We are trying to figure out the best way to handle this. I really like the idea of keeping the projects separate and merging them on output. However, I can't figure out an elegant way to link topics between the two projects and that will be essential. There seems to be a rather manual way of doing this after the output is created, but I haven't been able to make that work and it's probably way too time-consuming with the amount of links we'll have to do anyway.

So my questions is, am I missing a more automated way to create the links? If not I'm thinking that it might be better just to have everything in a single project. I just wanted to be sure that I've exhausted all other possibilities before we go that route.

FYI, we do use Central. We're very new to it so have not really tested all of the capabilities yet. Maybe there's a way to accomplish this through that tool?

Thank you!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Linking topics between merged projects

Post by NorthEast »

Generally speaking, if you have a lot of links between content (or share content), then I'd suggest putting the content in a single project.

Usually I start with a single project, and only use separate projects if the content is genuinely separate.
dianej7080
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dianej7080 »

This is what I suspected but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something before we move forward. Thanks!
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

We have a similar issue and have decided to go with using CSH (context sensitive help) links between projects.
It is not appropriate for us to keep everything in the one project. For example, we have dozens of applications that all need to link to a more generic Release process - we keep the release/support/SDLC process documentation separate. I am not sure if CSH would work for your situation, but it is something to think about.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne