Spell Check - Misspelled Words Aren't Underlined

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
btompkins
Propeller Head

Spell Check - Misspelled Words Aren't Underlined

Post by btompkins »

hi there! Over the last few weeks, my colleagues and I have noticed that misspelled words aren't underlined in Flare anymore. We have "Spell Check While Typing" selected but still no luck. Is there another setting somewhere that we need to enable? I couldn't find anything, but it's quite possible I've missed it. We're on the 2018 r2 version, but I believe we experienced the issue in the previous version as well. Any ideas?

(I also tried doing a manual check using the Spell Check Window, but it didn't work. All I got was a error message that said "MadCap Flare 2018 r2 encountered a problem" :( )
btompkins
Propeller Head

Re: Spell Check - Misspelled Words Aren't Underlined

Post by btompkins »

Just thought I'd post a follow up with the resolution in case someone else has this problem someday. I discovered that in a test project I didn't have the problem with spell check; however, all of the spell check/dictionary related settings seemed to be the same between the two projects. When I went to Tools > Edit Dictionary and tried to select the project's dictionary, I got an error message that there were invalid characters in the file. Sure enough, when I opened it in a text editor, there were merge conflict markers (<<<<<<Head etc). So, I removed those, saved, and voila! Misspelled words were underlined and there wasn't an error message when I tried to do a manual spell check :)