Is there a fast way to open files?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
alsarg72
Propeller Head

Is there a fast way to open files?

Post by alsarg72 »

What I mean by that is, for example, in many IDEs and code editors I can type something like...

<some hot hey>thistopsost<enter>

...and as I type it finds anything that matches until it finds what I want, and when I hit enter it it opens, in this example say: "This is a topic about some stuff.htm"

It's called "Go to All" in Visual Studio, and "Goto Anything" in Sublime Text.

In Flare I either drill down through the Content Explorer and double click or hit enter, or through my TOC and right click and select Open Link, to open files. It is super painful and slow by comparison. Are there some great ways that I haven't found for opening files FAST!!?

Thanks in advance,

Al
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Is there a fast way to open files?

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, type in the file name in the Quick Launch box in the top right (Ctrl+Q).
alsarg72
Propeller Head

Re: Is there a fast way to open files?

Post by alsarg72 »

Great! Thank you. That's a lot better than opening from the TOC or Content Explorer. Somehow I'd never noticed that it was there. :D

I also found an alternative that would go almost all the way to being "Go to Anything" anywhere with partial names and fuzzy matching, using Keypirinha, instead of just typing the first part of a file name and not showing the directories. Unfortunately when a file is opened from an external application, e.g. doubled clicked in File Explorer and opened with the "Open with..." file association, which is the equivalent of how Keypirinha opens files found with its FileCatalog package, Flare opens a new instance instead of opening it in the existing instance. It would be nice if they would fix that, or if anyone has a suggestion to fix that.