Noncompliant PDF output - missing end text operator

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Noncompliant PDF output - missing end text operator

Post by mattf »

I see a bunch of posts from more than a year ago from people having trouble with PDF output being non-compliant for 508/Accessibility. But is anyone having issues more recently?

We upgraded to 2018 r2 a while ago and suddenly we're putting out PDFs that Microsoft Edge won't read. I loath Edge, but unfortunately my loathing doesn't release me from my obligation to output a PDF that Edgeophyles can open. The facts are these:

• The PDF opens blank or with blank pages in Edge, while Firefox and Chrome open it without issue.
• When we run the PDF output through a validator we get the message "Document does not conform to PDF/A" and in particular (several instances) "An end text operator is missing."
• When I go to print this PDF, I get a warning that there's an error in it and that I should consult the maker of the PDF to fix the issue. I have consulted myself and encountered only a familiar blank stare.
• Finally, a superfluous A character has been added in the file name -- "IPMÂ 3.7 Release Notes.pdf".

We have a ticket in with Madcap but we're getting crickets, so I'm turning to the Legion of Esteemed Propellerheads. Any ideas? Anyone seeing this? The file can be fixed but it's not a tenable long term solution for us to do a lot of post-publishing surgery on our docs.

Thanks,
-mdf
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.