Receiving "Missing File Link for TOC entry" messages

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
rgrace
Propeller Head

Receiving "Missing File Link for TOC entry" messages

Post by rgrace »

(SOLVED THIS ISSUE!!!) The full warning message is: "Missing file link for TOC entry with System.LinkedTitle variable."
Flare_error.PNG
Messages don't give me any further guidance after the docs build, and there aren't any broken xref indicators in the TOC before or after build.

No indication of what's throwing this error. The entire TOC tree is correct, including the entry that would appear to be at fault here. Basically trying to do single-sourcing and running into weird problems here and there. Not using variables anywhere in my project to this point. Everything else works in the build.

(H/T to Psider below noting how to add an image.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rgrace on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Receiving "Missing File Link for TOC entry" messages

Post by Psider »

I can't help with the Flare error, but for the images in forum posts, have you tried the Upload attachment tab (appears underneath the description box)?
Flare_upload_file.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgrace
Propeller Head

Post by rgrace »

Solved the problem! I found that having two files in a containing folder with two conditions applied to them confused Flare. My conditioning logic is firmly "Anything that is specifically excluded from this product version, excluded using THIS TAG ONLY." I broke that rule for two files. Sigh. Only took me 24 hours to figure it out.
MarkMetcalfe
Propeller Head

Post by MarkMetcalfe »

I found it! (A different problem and solution for "Missing File Link for TOC entry"; maybe it can help someone with a similar case)

After looking at the TOC every way I could, I slowly read through the entire build log for a clue. I came across the following lines:

Code: Select all

Generating folder\SiteMap.htm.
Processing sub-toc: OLD.fltoc
I opened OLD.fltoc and found the broken links. I did not fix the links because the project was not supposed to use the OLD TOC. My target called for the master NEW.fltoc, so OLD.fltoc had to be called from somewhere else.

So, I opened the SiteMap.htm file and found this line that called OLD.fltoc, which I promptly changed to NEW.fltoc and solved the issue.

Code: Select all

<MadCap:menuProxy mc-linked-toc="/Project/TOCs/OLD.fltoc" style="mc-toc-depth: -1;mc-context-sensitive: False;mc-include-parent: True;mc-include-siblings: True;mc-include-children: True;" />
SO.... the warning message was about a TOC that wasn't part of the target (not the master TOC), but it was about a secondary TOC that was being called (unknown to me) by this SiteMap file. (Our group changed TOCs with a product name change, but the old one was hanging around for legacy or lazy purposes, and apparently wasn't reflected in the SiteMap file for some reason.)

I wonder if the warning could identify which .fltoc it was complaining about. It would have saved me about 6 hours of sleuthing.

Still, it is gratifying to be able to solve the puzzle.
Mark Metcalfe
Optimizely
542 Amherst St.
Nashua, NH 03063
mark.metcalfe@optimizely.com