How does the compiler "know" that merging is not supported?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
oelgoetz
Propeller Head

How does the compiler "know" that merging is not supported?

Post by oelgoetz »

Hello all,

when I build a project with a TOC that contains project merging links, the compiler says: "Removing entry: The current target type does not support linking to a project:" (The Error ID is 10129).
I wonder how the compiler "knows" that the target does not support merging. At least I haven't found an attribute in the target file itself that could indicate it.

(My candidate was the Type="WebHelp2" attribute in the target file but this is the same in html5 'tripane' targets - which support project merging - as in html5 'top navigation' targets - which don't).

Can anybody tell me what it is?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How does the compiler "know" that merging is not support

Post by Nita Beck »

Flare supports merging of HTML5 tripane output, but not HTML5 Side Navigation or Top Navigation. This is mentioned, albeit in a rather buried way, in Flare’s documentation, as we can see here at the very bottom of the topic: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... argets.htm

So, if your target is Side Nav or Top Nav, the merge isn’t supported.

I don’t know that there’s any attribute one can explicitly set or hack. My answer to the “how does the compiler ‘know’” is that that’s how MadCap programmed Flare.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
oelgoetz
Propeller Head

Post by oelgoetz »

Thank you Nita for the quick reply

however, I was already aware that Side Nav/Top Nav do not support project merging and I had no illusions towards hacking it.
I'm writing a tool that parses my Flare projects to re-arrange them.
The tool must decide by the target type what to do. So I'm searching the property that carries this information in the xml.
If I don't know it I have to use the filename of the target or the skin file which is a rather unreliable indicator.

Any other suggestions out there?
Herbert Poesch
Propeller Head

Post by Herbert Poesch »

Maybe the decision is made internally by looking at the "Type" entry in the target file. There are different types:
- HTML5: Type="WebHelp2"
- WebHelpMobile: Type="WebHelpMobile"
- HTML Help (CHM): Type="HtmlHelp"
- PDF: Type="PDF"

In the skin file, you have the same type description in the "Skintype" entry:
- SkinType="WebHelp2"
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Well, you'd need to parse both the target and the skin.
Check the target to find the skin it uses, and then check the skin to find whether it's Tripane or Top/Side Nav. I *think* Version in the XML indicates if it's Tripane (=2) or Top/Side Nav (=3).