Using CSH with a synchronized navigation project?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
jhyde
Jr. Propeller Head

Using CSH with a synchronized navigation project?

Post by jhyde »

Hello All,
Has anyone found a setting in the Alias file that specifies where in the TOC to open a topic which appears in multiple places?

I have an HTML5 side navigation output with the "synchronize navigation elements with TOC entries" option turned on. This has been great for instances where a single topic needs to appear in multiple locations within the TOC, however I have not yet found a way to specify which of these locations to use when a reader arrives at the topic by way of a CSH call. If anyone knows of a way to do this I would be very interested to learn about it.

I am aware that one work around would be to encapsulate the topic body within a snippet, and use that snippet for multiple topics. I'm keeping this option open, but curious if there is a better way.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Using CSH with a synchronized navigation project?

Post by devjoe »

I've been adding bookmarks at the top of the topic and linking each TOC entry to a different one. Then you can specify a different bookmark in each CSH entry and it will sync with the unique TOC entry matching each one.
spatte22
Propeller Head

Post by spatte22 »

@devjoe

I'm in the process of figuring out CSH right now, and my bookmark IDs aren't functioning properly. In a demo project, I set up a few IDs that direct to bookmarks. I also have a bare-bones html file with the html and js "buttons" that launch the content when clicked. When I click the button/link, the demo page opens to the bookmarked content for a fraction of a second, then when the page finishes loading, the screen jumps to the top of the page (instead of staying further down where the bookmarked content exists).

Any idea why this would happen and a possible solution?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

spatte22 wrote:@devjoe

I'm in the process of figuring out CSH right now, and my bookmark IDs aren't functioning properly. In a demo project, I set up a few IDs that direct to bookmarks. I also have a bare-bones html file with the html and js "buttons" that launch the content when clicked. When I click the button/link, the demo page opens to the bookmarked content for a fraction of a second, then when the page finishes loading, the screen jumps to the top of the page (instead of staying further down where the bookmarked content exists).

Any idea why this would happen and a possible solution?
I (and others) have seen this and (at least) I have found no solution. I reported it to MadCap, way back at Flare 2017 r3 when I first observed it. Sorry I can't offer a solution. Please submit a bug report...

Here's another forum post on the same issue: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31193
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
spatte22
Propeller Head

Post by spatte22 »

Ah, thanks for the response, Nita.

I actually found this topic by searching for an answer, so I'm a tidbit surprised that I didn't find that other one on my own :P.

Anyways, yeah, I'll submit a bug report, too.