Endnotes and cross references

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Endnotes and cross references

Post by Isleofgough »

Could you please tell me how to correctly add hyperlink that automatically references the paragraph number in a bibliography (for endnote references and cross references)? What I have been doing is creating a bibliography file that has its own paragraph style with autonumbers.
A typical paragraph in the bibiography looks like:
<li class="Bibliography"><a name="Randall"></a>Randall, P “The Craft of the Knot: From Fishing Knots to Bowlines and Bends” 2012, p 8.</li>

I can insert a hyperlink that links to the bibliography file and the <a name> to the paragraph within that file, but under "link text" I have had to manually add the number. This is a terrible solution, as I often add extra references and all the numbering gets off. In most programs, I use the system variable to the paragraph number(in Word, in Framemaker). I do not see it as an option in Flare. I'm sure this one is user error, but would appreciate a solution. See attachment:
FlareEndnoteRef.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Endnotes and cross references

Post by Psider »

Perhaps cross references are what you need? I haven't tried it, but there is a paranum option that looks promising.

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... rences.htm
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

Thank you very much! The cross references worked much better than hyperlinks for preserving autonumbering. Now they are like Framemaker's or Words endnotes and crossrefs.
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

Converting the hyperlinks to crossrefs solved one problem (the problem with lack of autonumbering the hyperlink references) but caused another. Originally the endnotes were all a list within a paragraph, but for crossrefs to work right, I had to put each in its own paragraph and have the p.bibliography style do the autonumbering without a <li>. As with Framemaker, I am avoiding real endnotes entirely, so that the endnotes are just a bibiographic numbered set of paragraphs and what looks like the number reference is a crossreference, not an endnote to proxy.

The problem is the hanging indents. The old way created perfect indents, but I don't know how to set and add a tab to the autonumber format (the way one would do this in Framemaker). With just a hanging indent, the lack of monospacing of the font coupled with going from single to double digits creates an ugly formatting issue (see attachment).

My style for p.bibliography (used for endnotes):
p.Bibliography
{
frame-break-before: avoid;
margin-bottom: 0px;
widows: 2;
orphans: 2;
margin-bottom: 6px;
margin-top: 6px;
mc-auto-number-format: '{n+}. ';
padding-left: .25in;
hanging-punctuation: first;
text-align: left;
text-indent: -.25 in;
}

The result...
FlareIndentProblem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I think you need to set the Outside Head setting and the offset value:
http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... graphs.htm
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

Thank you. I tried all permutations and combinations and different offsets and couldn't get a perfect alignment for pdf. So I created a second proxy file that uses <li> and </li> and used this as a replacement for the bibliography in the print quality pdf target. Since the original bibliography based on a numbered paragraph style still exists, I can use the original bibliography for ebook and interactive pdf.