Flare Search, Glossary Entries, and Quotes

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
peterb
Propeller Head

Flare Search, Glossary Entries, and Quotes

Post by peterb »

Good afternoon, users of MadCap Flare. I am hurting my head with a conundrum today.

MadCap documentation on searching recommends that you use quotes when using multiple word search terms in order to get meaningful results. However, it seems like the use of quotes excludes glossary entries from being returned in the "heads up" display on the search results page. This is unfortunate, as it seems that you need to use quotes when doing a search for documentation but omit quotes if doing a search for glossary terms; our readers are blissfully unaware of our behind-the-scenes documentation architecture and are not going to know if the information they are looking for is included as a glossary term. So, basically, the "best practice" for searching in Flare content renders the very useful heads up display feature for glossary entries completely useless, unless I am missing something.

Maybe I don't really have a question other than, "Does this drive anyone else nuts?" Has anyone experienced this issue firsthand? Better yet, has anyone come up with a workaround or another way to allow searching on phrases and glossary entries without having to change syntax habits?

I always appreciate the insights of the very knowledgeable users on this forum. Thanks!